Dec 20, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
After talking about the big stories and ranking our Top 10 drivers from the 2013 FIA Formula One World Championship season, my colleague Chris Estrada and I are taking a look back on how each of the 23 Formula One drivers who took to the grid fared this past year.
Gaining confidence as his rookie season wore on was Giedo van der Garde…
GIEDO VAN DER GARDE
No. 21 Caterham-Renault
2013 Stats: 0 Wins, 0 Podiums, 0 Top-5, 0 Top-10s, 0 Laps Led (Best Finish: 14th, Hungary)
Average Start: 19.4
Average Finish: 18.1
DiZinno says: F1’s first Dutchman in six years punched above his weight at times, notably making it into Q2 in the rain-affected sessions at Monaco and Spa. A bad first corner accident at Suzuka and colliding with Mark Webber in Canada were really the only major mistakes. He really improved as the year went on and seemed to have the better of Caterham teammate Charles Pic more often than not.
Estrada says: van der Garde upended Charles Pic’s No. 1 status at Caterham more than once. Qualifying at Monaco and Spa were highlights, but as the season continued, his race pace also picked up noticeably as well. However, consecutive first-lap crashes at Japan and India later in the year robbed him of chances to help the team in its ultimately losing fight with Marussia.
- F1 2015’s silly season is proving to be a let down, but who could yet spice it up? 2
- 2015 Italian Grand Prix Preview 0
- James Hinchcliffe on the comeback trail for IndyCar driving return 0
- Bottas and Massa to remain with Williams for 2016 1
- Here are your TV times for this weekend’s Italian Grand Prix on NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- James Hinchcliffe describes how inspired he was by Justin Wilson 1
- Dixon: “I don’t think anybody had a stellar season” 13