Dec 20, 2013, 9:24 PM EDT
Esteban Gutierrez has been confirmed to a second season at Sauber, which ends a several-month long saga about his future in the team.
The Mexican rookie came on in the second half of 2013, even though he failed to match highly rated teammate Nico Hulkenberg in the lead car. His only points finish was a seventh place result at Suzuka, but there were several races where Gutierrez came up just shy.
Gutierrez said after the year he deserved to stay in F1, and was thrilled to end the waiting game on Friday.
“I am happy to be able to continue as a driver for the Sauber F1 Team,” he said in a team statement. “It was a steep learning curve last season, but by working closely with the team I was able to improve continuously. It will be my fourth year with the team, the second as a racing driver, and I feel comfortable in taking the next step.
“The technical challenges in 2014 will be massive. Therefore, it will be even more important to know well the people you are working with. I will do my very best to improve even more and support the team the best way I can.”
Team principal Monisha Kaltenborn described the decision to retain Gutierrez rather than take a risk on a second new driver into the team. Adrian Sutil signed last week from Force India to be Sauber’s first 2014 driver.
“We are pleased Esteban will drive for us in 2014, because we believe he is a talented young racing driver,” she said. “Last season, he experienced first hand how hard it can be for a rookie to step into Formula One. Nevertheless, throughout the season he improved significantly in qualifying as well as in the races and finished the year as the best rookie in the drivers’ championship.
“Often, the results didn’t fully reflect his performances. I am confident Esteban will be able to use his experiences to gain results, and this will be helped by the fact he is very well acquainted with every member of the race team.”
With Gutierrez’s return to Sauber, one of his biggest backers – Mexican telecommunications company Telmex – will also stay with the team as a partner.
Earlier this year, a Russian consortium of investors was brought in to help secure Sauber’s financial future. As part of that rescue package, the plan was to install Russian teenager Sergey Sirotkin in one of the team’s two cars. Sirotkin has still not earned his requisite FIA Superlicense and likely will undertake a reserve role, instead.
Gutierrez was one of several drivers who could have slotted in had Sirotkin been named to one seat. A Gutierrez-Sirotkin lineup would have been one of the least experienced on the grid. As it turned out, the team opted for a veteran hand in Sutil to lead the team and now will have one bit of consistency carrying over into 2014 with Gutierrez returning.
This signing also drops the number of remaining seats on the 2014 grid down to three. The second Marussia and two Caterham drivers are yet to be named.
Video from NASCAR America
- Rosberg tames wet conditions to claim Belgian GP pole 0
- Bottas breaks Mercedes’ stranglehold at Spa by topping FP3 0
- Ryan Blaney passes Kyle Busch on final restart, hangs on to win Nationwide race at Bristol 1
- Kevin Harvick edges Jeff Gordon for Bristol Sprint Cup pole 1
- Will A.J. Allmendinger seek payback for Brad Daugherty’s practical joke? 1
- 2015 NASCAR Schedule to be Revealed Tuesday, 5 p.m. ET, on special NASCAR AMERICA 0
- Rossi disappointed, but diplomatic, after Marussia no-go 1