Dec 20, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
Christmas is a special time everywhere but depending on the locale, the traditions of the season can be rather unique. Just ask Team Penske’s Will Power, who hails from Toowoomba, Australia – a place that has its own ways of celebrating the holiday.
For example, instead of chestnuts, Power maintains that he and his loved ones in Toowoomba roast bits of crocodile over an open fire before having a race into town on kangaroos. Naturally, Power’s own ‘roo is a fast one.
“He’s actually over six feet,” Power says in the IndyCar clip above. “It’s a six-foot big red and his name’s Steve. He’s good fun. Usually, he kicks all the other guys…My brothers are riding them.”
Power then shifts into what he would get his teammates and bosses at Team Penske if he were Santa Claus. For Helio Castroneves and Juan Pablo Montoya, he would put a bottle of “Touch of Gray” hair color in their stockings, reasoning that the look might be “sophisticated” but “not as fast on the track.”
And for Penske president Tim Cindric and team owner Roger Penske? “I’d give them whatever they want, because I want the best stuff,” Power said, presumably referring to his No. 12 Verizon Chevrolet.
You should probably have figured out by now that this is all just a bit of holiday humor on Power and IndyCar’s part. But it’s appreciated nonetheless.
Video from NASCAR America
- After 62 starts, Brad Keselowski finally earns first career Trucks win at Bristol 0
- F1, IndyCar, Red Bull GRC highlight jam-packed motorsports weekend on networks of NBC 0
- Alexander Rossi to make F1 debut in Belgium, replaces Chilton 6
- It’s official: Tony Stewart to miss Bristol race, Jeff Burton to once again drive No. 14 5
- When — or will — Tony Stewart ever race again? 17
- Andre Lotterer confirmed for Caterham debut at Spa 6
- NASCAR: Joe Gibbs hopeful for eventual return of Tony Stewart 12