Dec 21, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
Irish star Damien Faulkner has landed a seat in the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship. The TRG refugee has a multiyear deal in place with the new GB Autosport team, which will run a Porsche 911 GT America in the series’ GT Daytona class.
“I’m delighted to have joined GB Autosport for the 2014 TUDOR United SportsCar Championship,” Faulkner said in a release. “It’s great to sign a two-year deal that ties me to this series. This is where I want to be. I believe GB Autosport is serious about their aspirations and being the fastest Porsche will be right up there on the ‘to-do-list’. It will be interesting competing with a number of manufacturers during the course of the season and we’re hoping, with the team we have, to compete up there with the best.”
Faulkner will drive alongside Dutchman Patrick Huisman and Bob Faieta, both of whom are Porsche veterans; Huisman is a four-time Porsche Supercup champion. Faulkner won twice in 2013 in the American Le Mans Series’ GTC class, the one-make for now-obsolete Porsche GT3 Cup cars, co-driving with Ben Keating at TRG.
The GB Autosport team, run by Faieta and team manager Cole Scrogham, is new in name but has decades’ worth of experience. The team also switches its number from 20, which was its number on the initial TUDOR Championship entry reveal, to 81, which Scrogham has run with other Porsche teams in the past. Faieta has been confirmed for “selected races” beyond Daytona, but the identity of Faulkner’s full-season co-driver is yet to be determined.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Assessing Tony Stewart’s return at Atlanta (VIDEO) 0
- Feelin’ free: Frustrations end for Chase-bound Kahne, IndyCar champ Power 1
- Honda preps for first simulations, expresses confidence it can match Mercedes 4
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 1
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 1
- Tony Stewart’s comeback hopes end with rough 41st-place finish at Atlanta 2
- Tony Stewart the obvious fan favorite during pre-race introductions at Atlanta 3