Dec 22, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
GP2 runner-up Sam Bird will race for the Starworks Motorsport team in endurance events of the 2014 TUDOR United SportsCar Championship, at Daytona, Sebring and Petit Le Mans. No official designation was provided by the team but a RACER.com report indicates Bird will be in one of the team’s PC cars.
Bird has not raced in America, nor in sports cars, but is a prodigious talent and Mercedes F1 reserve driver who seeks his next big opportunity.
Peter Baron’s Starworks team has three entries in the 2014 TUDOR Championship. The team has two PC cars confirmed, Nos. 7 and 8, and is the second alternate entry in the P class with a Riley DP, No. 78. Baron has confirmed one of his full-season drivers, 28-year-old Spaniard Isaac Tutumlu, for one of the PC cars.
The Starworks team repeated its win at Indianapolis in 2013 with Ryan Dalziel and Alex Popow (pictured), and also won with its second car at Road America with Brendon Hartley and Scott Mayer. Hartley’s efforts with Starworks did not go unnoticed, and the one-time Mercedes reserve driver was picked up by Porsche for its works LMP1 team in 2014.
Dalziel, meanwhile, has moved on from Starworks to Extreme Speed Motorsports and its HPD ARX-03b P2 car in the P class for the 2014 season.
- Volkswagen Andretti pair of Foust, Speed seek better fortunes, consistency 0
- Hinchcliffe released from hospital, expected to make full recovery 2
- Fast Facts: Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit 0
- Drivers ponder why cars didn’t go airborne during the Indianapolis 500 4
- Bell: “A wild Indy 500 without the finish we desired” 0
- Ryan: Juan Pablo Montoya comes full circle at Indianapolis 1
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 5