Dec 26, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
Ferrari’s new driving tandem of Kimi Raikkonen and Fernando Alonso are two former World Champions that have been long used to being the top dogs on their team. In the mind of Jean-Eric Vergne, that could lead to trouble for the Scuderia.
The Toro Rosso racer, who is preparing for a battle against Russian rookie Daniil Kvyat next season, told Italian publication Corrierre dello Sport that while he expects Ferrari to be in the thick of the title race in 2014, he’s interested to see if Raikkonen and Alonso can really work together.
“I am convinced Fernando will be one of the championship candidates, but I’m very interested to see how it will work with Kimi as a team mate at Ferrari,” he told CdS. “Both Kimi and Fernando are very fast but the pair together could be a potential time bomb.”
Alonso recently noted to a Brazilian publication the “rumors” about Raikkonen being difficult to work with, although he also emphasized the importance of having a stronger car than he’s gotten in recent years – saying that should Ferrari deliver a championship-caliber ride, “the atmosphere in the team will be great.”
Vergne may be right in his belief that there may be some difficulty along the way. However, one wonders if his comments have another purpose: Namely, stirring the pot.
After all, those comments are aimed at one of the key rivals of Toro Rosso’s senior team, reigning champs Red Bull Racing – whom Vergne believes will continue their dominance of F1 even with the new technical regulations that are set to debut in the coming year.
“I don’t really expect to see any major changes in Formula 1, even though there will be a number of massive changes in F1′s rules,” he also said to CdS. “I expect to see Red Bull in front of Ferrari again next season to be honest.”
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)