Dec 26, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
The consultancy company of Yas Marina Circuit CEO Richard Cregan has entered a three-year agreement with the organizers of the Russian Grand Prix, set to debut in the fall of 2014 at Sochi Olympic Park in Russia (pictured, from this past April). Cregan has ran Yas, the home of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, for the last five years.
“The combined, impressive experience that the international consultants have, their understanding of the Formula One world, and the desire to do the Grand Prix at the highest level guarantee a good result of our teamwork,” said Sochi promoter Oleg Zabara in a statement.
“Knowledge and experience which we will get in the course of this cooperation will ensure not only hosting the world-class Grand Prix, but also effective use of the autodrome in Sochi all year-round.”
Cregan, a former F1 team manager at Toyota, said that he would continue to be an advisor to Yas but admitted that it took some pondering before he made his decision to join the Sochi team.
“Moving on from Abu Dhabi was a tough decision for me but I have always enjoyed a new challenge,” he said in his own comments. “…I am convinced that the Russian Grand Prix will become one of the iconic events on the calendar and we will be able to build a very successful business by utilizing the amazing assets and the passion of the team here in Sochi.”
Tickets for the Oct. 12, 2014 race at the Sochi International Street Circuit will go on sale March 4, 2014 – a little more than a week after the end of the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games.
Video from NASCAR America
- Rex White, NASCAR Hall of Fame driver — and storyteller 1
- Is a NASCAR TV analyst career in Jeff Gordon’s future? ‘I’d entertain it’ 2
- After wedding and winter to reflect, Joey Logano looks for more in 2015 2
- Jeff Gordon’s legacy of success transcends generations 1
- Jeff Gordon announces 2015 as final full-time season 43
- NASCAR: Trackside shopping set to change as part of new Fanatics deal (UPDATED) 10
- Brian Vickers to return to racing at Las Vegas after health scare 9