Dec 26, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
The consultancy company of Yas Marina Circuit CEO Richard Cregan has entered a three-year agreement with the organizers of the Russian Grand Prix, set to debut in the fall of 2014 at Sochi Olympic Park in Russia (pictured, from this past April). Cregan has ran Yas, the home of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, for the last five years.
“The combined, impressive experience that the international consultants have, their understanding of the Formula One world, and the desire to do the Grand Prix at the highest level guarantee a good result of our teamwork,” said Sochi promoter Oleg Zabara in a statement.
“Knowledge and experience which we will get in the course of this cooperation will ensure not only hosting the world-class Grand Prix, but also effective use of the autodrome in Sochi all year-round.”
Cregan, a former F1 team manager at Toyota, said that he would continue to be an advisor to Yas but admitted that it took some pondering before he made his decision to join the Sochi team.
“Moving on from Abu Dhabi was a tough decision for me but I have always enjoyed a new challenge,” he said in his own comments. “…I am convinced that the Russian Grand Prix will become one of the iconic events on the calendar and we will be able to build a very successful business by utilizing the amazing assets and the passion of the team here in Sochi.”
Tickets for the Oct. 12, 2014 race at the Sochi International Street Circuit will go on sale March 4, 2014 – a little more than a week after the end of the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games.
- 5 storylines that could define the 2014 F1 season 1
- Indianapolis 500 2014 Qualifying Format Revealed 5
- Schumacher “still in the wake up phase” 0
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed 6
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (6)
- UPDATED: FIA decision on Haas, new F1 teams delayed (5)