Dec 30, 2013, 1:28 PM EST
Above all else – the seven World Championships, the 91 Grand Prix wins, the thrilling drives that remain burned in our memories – Michael Schumacher is a family man.
As this short but poignant post from TheMotorsportArchive.com’s Leigh O’Gorman puts it, he is “most importantly, a chap with a wife and two children” as well as a son, brother, and uncle. All the glory Schumacher had on the race track during his career pales in comparison.
This morning, the Schumacher family released a statement through Michael’s press officer, Sabine Kehm, in which they thanked fans from around the world who have given their support as well as the doctors who are taking care of the Formula One legend.
“We would like to thank the medical team who we know do everything possible to help Michael. We like to also thank the people from all around the world who have expressed their sympathy and sent their best wishes for Michael’s recovery. We would like to ask the media to respect the privacy of us and our friends and thank them for their support. Thank you.”
At this time, Schumacher remains in critical condition and in an induced coma at a hospital in Grenoble, France. On Sunday, he suffered a severe head injury in a fall while skiing in the nearby ski town of Meribel. Doctors have said that his prognosis remains unclear.
Video from NASCAR America
- Start times for 2015 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races 1
- Bowyer on Gordon: “You’re never good with somebody when it got that ugly” 6
- NASCAR considers unveiling 2016 rules at Sprint All-Star Race in May 2
- Kyle Busch says Toyota teams are “idiots” by not working close together 18
- Brian France: State of NASCAR is in a good place and getting better 3
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Dale Jarrett to join NASCAR coverage on NBC, NBCSN 4
- F1: Lotus releases images of its new Mercedes-powered E23 4