Dec 30, 2013, 1:28 PM EST
Above all else – the seven World Championships, the 91 Grand Prix wins, the thrilling drives that remain burned in our memories – Michael Schumacher is a family man.
As this short but poignant post from TheMotorsportArchive.com’s Leigh O’Gorman puts it, he is “most importantly, a chap with a wife and two children” as well as a son, brother, and uncle. All the glory Schumacher had on the race track during his career pales in comparison.
This morning, the Schumacher family released a statement through Michael’s press officer, Sabine Kehm, in which they thanked fans from around the world who have given their support as well as the doctors who are taking care of the Formula One legend.
“We would like to thank the medical team who we know do everything possible to help Michael. We like to also thank the people from all around the world who have expressed their sympathy and sent their best wishes for Michael’s recovery. We would like to ask the media to respect the privacy of us and our friends and thank them for their support. Thank you.”
At this time, Schumacher remains in critical condition and in an induced coma at a hospital in Grenoble, France. On Sunday, he suffered a severe head injury in a fall while skiing in the nearby ski town of Meribel. Doctors have said that his prognosis remains unclear.
Video from NASCAR America
- Maurizio Arrivabene replaces Marco Mattiacci as Ferrari team principal 0
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Sunday 0
- Hamilton calls second title victory “the greatest day of my life” 3
- Hamilton clinches second F1 world title by winning Abu Dhabi GP 9
- The Final Showdown: Hamilton and Rosberg prepare for one final battle in Abu Dhabi 0
- Vettel and Ricciardo to start Abu Dhabi GP from pit lane 0
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0