Dec 30, 2013, 1:28 PM EST
Above all else – the seven World Championships, the 91 Grand Prix wins, the thrilling drives that remain burned in our memories – Michael Schumacher is a family man.
As this short but poignant post from TheMotorsportArchive.com’s Leigh O’Gorman puts it, he is “most importantly, a chap with a wife and two children” as well as a son, brother, and uncle. All the glory Schumacher had on the race track during his career pales in comparison.
This morning, the Schumacher family released a statement through Michael’s press officer, Sabine Kehm, in which they thanked fans from around the world who have given their support as well as the doctors who are taking care of the Formula One legend.
“We would like to thank the medical team who we know do everything possible to help Michael. We like to also thank the people from all around the world who have expressed their sympathy and sent their best wishes for Michael’s recovery. We would like to ask the media to respect the privacy of us and our friends and thank them for their support. Thank you.”
At this time, Schumacher remains in critical condition and in an induced coma at a hospital in Grenoble, France. On Sunday, he suffered a severe head injury in a fall while skiing in the nearby ski town of Meribel. Doctors have said that his prognosis remains unclear.
Video from NASCAR America
- IndyCar’s Graham Rahal, NHRA’s Courtney Force engaged 3
- Police seek cause of death of race fan found near Talladega 0
- MST exclusive: BK Racing co-owner Anthony Marlowe apologizes for Cole Whitt/David Ragan tweet controversy 0
- What we’re thankful for in the motorsports world, 2014 1
- Sam Hornish Jr. has much to be thankful for: new home, renewed Sprint Cup hopes with Richard Petty Motorsports 5
- NBCSN’s F1 coverage delivers best ever single-season numbers for a cable network 6
- Mercedes reserve Wehrlein leads final Abu Dhabi test day to end 2014 0