Dec 31, 2013, 4:22 PM EST
At 33 years old, former World Champion Jenson Button doesn’t sense the impending end of his Formula One career. But once he does finish his days in F1, he’s hoping to find himself a new challenge.
As for what Button plans to do at that point, we know this much: He won’t be taking a page from ex-Red Bull man Mark Webber’s playbook and head off to sports car racing.
In comments made to Autosport, Button says that while he’d like to drive the famous Circuit de la Sarthe – home of the 24 Hours of Le Mans – in a sports car, he doesn’t want to deal with having to wind his way through the cars of the slower categories during a race.
“Le Mans never really ticked the boxes for me,” he said. “You are racing with cars that are so much slower, in different categories, and dodging cars throughout the whole race is not something that I have ever got that excited about…But each to their own as obviously a lot of people do love it.”
Indeed, one could assume that navigating through the multiple categories in sports car racing can be a patience-sapping exercise for any racer. But perhaps he may change his mind one day – perhaps after taking stock of what Webber does in the World Endurance Championship from this year onward with Porsche?
In any case, there’s still some business to attend to in F1 for Button. He signed a one-year extension this past fall with McLaren, but could be a hot commodity in 2015.
No doubt he can raise his stock if he helps McLaren return to its winning ways after a disastrous 2013 and stays ahead of promising rookie teammate Kevin Magnussen while doing so.
Video from NASCAR America
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. ponders a 24-hour NASCAR race 0
- ‘Do you get mad when your boyfriend wrecks you?’ Danica Patrick faces kids’ pressing questions 3
- Jeff Gordon to serve as NASCAR TV analyst this season 12
- Ganassi’s No. 02 Riley-Ford Scores Rolex 24 Victory 3
- Rex White, NASCAR Hall of Fame driver — and storyteller 1
- Is a NASCAR TV analyst career in Jeff Gordon’s future? ‘I’d entertain it’ 2
- After wedding and winter to reflect, Joey Logano looks for more in 2015 2