Dec 31, 2013, 9:54 AM EDT
One of the U.K.’s most decorated racers, John Surtees, has missed out on Knighthood yet again.
There was hope that for 2014, the 50th anniversary of his 1964 Formula One World Championship, the only individual to have won an F1 and motorcycle World Championships would get honored with the distinction. Alas, it’s not the case.
A full list of honorees is linked here.
Twitter lit up this morning with regret that Surtees has not been honored in this manner. A reaction from NBCSN’s Formula One pit reporter and insider Will Buxton said it all:
What the hell does John Surtees have to do to be given a Knighthood?
— Will Buxton (@willbuxton) December 31, 2013
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Former FIA prez Max Mosley rubbishes F1′s ongoing noise saga (6)