Dec 31, 2013, 1:03 PM EDT
On Monday, WC Vision officially confirmed a new TCA class for the upcoming 25th anniversary season of the Pirelli World Challenge.
Cost effectiveness and a easier entry into professional racing are the aims for the TCA class, whose performance modifications will be limited to: Stock sealed motors, stock transmissions, limited suspension modifications, StopTech front brakes and stock bodywork with no composites. Examples of eligible cars include the Honda Civic Si, Mazda MX-5, Ford Focus, and Scion FR-S.
Additionally, entrants in the TCB class will have their entry fees reduced by 13 percent in 2014 and have their class rules remain stable with the addition of rewards weights to further balance competition. TC class rules will also remain stable this coming year.
The TC, TCA, and TCB categories will also use a new, longer-lasting Pirelli P Zero tire that is projected to wear over two race weekends instead of a single weekend.
Teams have the option of taking part in a “P Zero Dollars” program that enables them to earn $200 P Zero Dollars per weekend ($1,400 total) toward the purchase of new tires if they prepay for a full season.
Teams that prepay for a block of four races under the program will earn $100 per weekend, and teams that prepay on a race-to-race basis will earn $50 per weekend.
“We pride ourselves on listening to our teams and implementing solutions to address their feedback,” said PWC director of competition Geoff Carter in a statement. “It wasn’t surprising to hear that the cost of racing, especially for some of our TC and TCB competitors, is a barrier to running in the series. So we look at ways to reduce costs where we can.”
The PWC’s silver anniversary season gets started March 28-30, 2014 with the Grand Prix of St. Petersburg (Florida).
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 0
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 1
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 2
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 9
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 1