Jan 1, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
Michael Valiante and Richard Westbrook have been confirmed as full-time drivers for Spirit of Daytona Racing in the 2014 Tudor United SportsCar Championship. Valiante previously raced with the team in the 2012 GRAND-AM Rolex Series, teaming up with Westbrook to score an overall victory that year at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.
“He and [Westbrook] work really well together, and I think with some of the changes we are looking at on the engineering side of our program, we should not only come out of the box much stronger, but we will hopefully be able to develop a championship-contending campaign with our VisitFlorida.com Corvette DP,” team owner Troy Flis said in a statement.
“New tracks, new rules, new races–there are a ton of new challenges for us to adjust to this year. We want to be in a position to maximize our opportunity, and having this driver line up will be an important part of that for us.”
This past year, Valiante split time with Michael Shank Racing and 8Star Motorsports. Competing in 11 Rolex Series races in 2013, his best results were a pair of back-to-back, runner-up finishes with 8Star at Mid-Ohio and the Sahlen’s Six Hours of Watkins Glen. Both of those finishes came in a Corvette DP.
“I’m really happy to have the full-season program in place and to be coming back to Spirit of Daytona Racing,” Valiante said. “It is a good feeling to have our plans in place, and to be able to now focus on what we need to do to be ready to go at Daytona.”
Also, 2013 DTM champion Mike Rockenfeller will join Valiante and Westbrook at the season-opening Rolex 24 at Daytona International Speedway. The German driver is a past champion of both the Rolex 24 and the 24 Hours of Le Mans.
- WATCH LIVE: IndyCar’s championship decided in Sonoma at 1 p.m. PT, 4 ET on NBCSN 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Sonoma (4 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Porsche’s no. 17 car surges to maiden WEC victory in 6 Hours of Nürburgring 2
- Audi boss Ullrich laughs off continual F1 rumors 2
- MotorSportsTalk’s IndyCar championship pre-Sunday post round-up 0
- Power steals final pole of IndyCar’s 2015 season with new track record at Sonoma 2
- Oriol Servia reflects on his friend Justin Wilson, as he races No. 25 car at Sonoma (VIDEO) 0