Jan 3, 2014, 12:31 PM EST
UPDATE, 12:30 p.m. ET: The Schumacher family has offered this message after today’s vigil:
“The incredible sympathies shown today by the Ferrari Fans outside the hospital has utterly overwhelmed us and moved us all to tears. We are deeply grateful for it and also for all the heartwarming and heartfelt wishes for Michael to get well soon, which have reached us from all over the world.”
Today is Michael Schumacher’s 45th birthday. The seven-time Formula One World Champion is still in critical condition after his skiing accident suffered on Sunday; fans will gather outside the University Hospital Center in Grenoble, France today for a “silent and respectful rally.” As was the case on Thursday, there are no updates expected from either the medical team or Schumacher’s manager, Sabine Kehm.
In the meantime, we picked a selection of some of Schumacher’s memorable moments in F1. The only problem with that is, when you’re the most successful driver in history and have won 91 races and seven titles, you’re bound to leave out a few.
Feel free to leave some of your most memorable Schumacher moments in the comments section.
2012 European Grand Prix, Schumacher’s final podium
2006 Chinese Grand Prix, Schumacher’s final win
2004 French Grand Prix, Schumacher wins with four pit stops
2002 Belgian Grand Prix, Schumacher set a then-record 10th win of the year (now is 13)
2000 Belgian Grand Prix, Schumacher and Mika Hakkinen’s legendary scrap
1998 British Grand Prix, Schumacher wins in the pits
1996 Spanish Grand Prix, Schumacher’s first win for Ferrari
1994 Brazilian Grand Prix, Schumacher vs. Senna for the win
1991 Belgian Grand Prix, Schumacher makes his debut for Jordan
Video from NASCAR America
- IndyCar’s Graham Rahal, NHRA’s Courtney Force engaged 9
- Police seek cause of death of race fan found near Talladega 0
- MST exclusive: BK Racing co-owner Anthony Marlowe apologizes for Cole Whitt/David Ragan tweet controversy 0
- What we’re thankful for in the motorsports world, 2014 2
- Sam Hornish Jr. has much to be thankful for: new home, renewed Sprint Cup hopes with Richard Petty Motorsports 5
- NBCSN’s F1 coverage delivers best ever single-season numbers for a cable network 6
- Mercedes reserve Wehrlein leads final Abu Dhabi test day to end 2014 0