Jan 3, 2014, 7:36 PM EDT
Action Express Racing and Spirit of Daytona Racing swapped the top spots between the morning and afternoon sessions of the first day in the Roar Before the Rolex 24.
The No. 5 AXR Corvette DP (pictured, from last year), with drivers Joao Barbosa, Christian Fittipaldi and Sebastien Bourdais, was fastest over SDR in the morning with a lap of 1 minute, 38.630 seconds around Daytona International Speedway’s famed 3.56-mile road course.
But in the afternoon, the No. 90 SDR Corvette DP of Michael Valiante, Richard Westbrook and Mike Rockenfeller moved ahead of AXR on the time sheets with a lap of 1 minute, 38.898 seconds.
Third-place in the morning session went to the No. 10 Wayne Taylor Racing Corvette DP (Wayne Taylor/Max Angelelli/Ricky Taylor/Jordan Taylor), while P3 in the afternoon was claimed by the No. 99 GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Racing Corvette DP (Alex Gurney/Darren Law/Jon Fogarty/Memo Gidley).
As for how the former P2 cars fared against the Daytona Prototypes, the No. 1 Extreme Speed Motorsports HPD ARX-03b (Scott Sharp/Ryan Dalziel/David Brabham) topped out in the afternoon with a lap of 1 minute, 40.006 seconds.
But while that was the quickest lap set by a non-Chevrolet entry across both Friday sessions, it still lagged behind the top time set by AXR in the morning by a margin of almost one and a half seconds.
Here were the other class leaders on Day 1, split by morning and afternoon sessions:
Prototype Challenge: No. 54 CORE Autosport Oreca FLM09 (Jon Bennett/Colin Braun/Mark Wilkins) – 1:42.468/125.073 mph
GT Le Mans: No. 4 Corvette Racing C7.R (Oliver Gavin/Tommy Milner/Robin Liddell) – 1:45.743/121.200 mph
GT Daytona: No. 45 Flying Lizard Motorsports Audi R8 LMS (Spencer Pumpelly/Nelson Canache/Tim Pappas) – 1:48.444/118.181 mph
Prototype Challenge: No. 87 BAR1 Motorsports Oreca FLM09 (Sean Rayhall/Doug Bielefeld/Chapman Ducote) – 1:43.322/124.039 mph
GT Le Mans: No. 911 Porsche North America 911 RSR (Nick Tandy/Richard Lietz/Patrick Pilet) – 1:45.564/121.405 mph
GT Daytona: No. 45 Flying Lizard Motorsports Audi R8 LMS (Pumpelly/Canache/Pappas) – 1:47.981/118.688 mph
The TUSC contingent will have four practice sessions tomorrow at 9 a.m. ET, 1 p.m. ET, 4 p.m. ET, and 6:30 p.m. ET.
- Richard Petty to return at Richmond, first race since wife Lynda’s death 0
- NASCAR VP: 2015 Sprint Cup engine package to be revealed before All-Star Race 0
- Too much, too fast, too soon: The sad saga of Swan Racing 0
- IndyCar: Will high grip and high tempers equal high drama at Barber? 2
- NHRA drag racing superstar John Force goes on vacation — at a dragstrip, of course 0
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (13)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)