Jan 4, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Two of America’s up-and-coming IndyCar drivers have had birthdays in the last 24 hours, and each seeks a bounceback 2014 season.
Graham Rahal turns 25 today. The son of 1986 Indianapolis 500 champion Bobby also drives for his father’s IndyCar team, and has already enjoyed a pair of successful tests this offseason working with new engineer Bill Pappas. Pappas hopes to help turn the team’s fortunes around after a trying 2013 that had more valleys than peaks; still, Graham impressed on several occasions including at Long Beach (second), Iowa (fifth), and Baltimore (fastest car on track until late contact with Tony Kanaan).
The Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing team has not yet announced its commercial partnerships or second driver for its IndyCar program this year. Rahal and teammate James Jakes ended the 2013 IndyCar season in 18th and 19th in the points standings. Rahal is also testing for BMW Team RLL this weekend at the Roar Before the Rolex 24, but is not yet confirmed for the race in the team’s GTLM class BMW Z4 GTLM.
Meanwhile JR Hildebrand turned 26 on Friday. Hildebrand endured a nightmarish 2013 that saw his contract at Panther Racing terminated after the Indianapolis 500, his car broken into with items stolen, and then needing to ward off an attempted robbery. On-track, he resurfaced with Bryan Herta’s Barracuda Racing outfit at Sonoma and Fontana, and nearly won the last race of the year.
A talented driver who seems to have been forgotten in the silly season discussions, it would be great to see Hildebrand earn another IndyCar opportunity with a different team in 2014.
Video from NASCAR America
- Tony Stewart sets fastest qualifying speed ever on 1.5-mile track (200.111 mph), but Matt Kenseth wins pole at Texas 0
- United States GP Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Hamilton inches away from Rosberg to top FP2 at COTA 0
- Sebastian Vettel to start United States GP from pit lane 0
- Hamilton quickest in first practice for United States GP 1
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0