Jan 4, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT
There have been more driver confirmations on a much warmer Saturday in Daytona for the Roar Before the Rolex 24. Here’s Friday’s morning news and notes, then end-of-day wrap. Meanwhile, here’s the latest round of updates:
- Mazda has confirmed the same four full season drivers as were in its GX class Mazda6s last year. Sylvain Tremblay and Tom Long (No. 70) and youngsters Tristan Nunez and Joel Miller (No. 07) will be in the manufacturer’s two SKYACTIV-D P2 prototypes this year. The SpeedSource-run team is yet to confirm additional drivers for the endurance races.
- Michael Shank Racing, unsurprisingly, has confirmed AJ Allmendinger and Justin Wilson alongside its usual pairing of Ozz Negri and John Pew in the team’s No. 60 Ford EcoBoost Riley Daytona Prototype for the Rolex 24. ‘Dinger and Wilson, former Champ Car teammates at RuSPORT, have driven together at Shank four times previously (2006, 2011-‘13), and the quartet won overall in 2012. Additionally, the team has confirmed commercial partnerships with Roberts Service Group and CRC Industries.
- The above prototype signings mean that only four teams: Marsh Racing (No. 31 Corvette DP), OAK Racing (No. 42 Morgan Nissan P2), Highway to Help (No. 50 Riley DP) and SpeedSource (Nos. 07/70 Mazda SKYACTIV-D P2s) are yet to announce their full, finalized lineups. The DeltaWing team may add a fourth driver as well.
- Dempsey Racing confirmed Porsche factory pilot Marc Lieb as its fourth and final driver for the Rolex 24, in the team’s No. 27 Porsche 911 GT America in the GT Daytona class.
Updates will follow with any further news or notes.
Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and he wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video)
Oct 24, 2014, 7:59 PM EDT
Jeff Gordon said Friday he wants to return to host Saturday Night Live for a second time — and he wants to reprise the hysterical “Ricky Funck” character.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:37 PM EDT
A loose car and two brushes with the wall has put Kevin Harvick in a deep hole at the start of Sunday’s Eliminator Round opener.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
If racing at Martinsville Speedway was like buying an ice cream cone, Jamie McMurray double-dipped during Friday’s Sprint Cup qualifying, earning the pole and setting a new track speed record (99.905 mph) in the process.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:19 PM EDT
Both Blaney and Wallace are within 30 points of championship leader Matt Crafton going into tomorrow’s Camping World Truck Series race at Martinsville.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
A fifth win at Martinsville would put Hamlin into the Sprint Cup Championship Race at Homestead.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT
Danica, who will swap CCs with teammate Kurt Busch starting next week at Texas, says she’s looking forward to working with the engineering-based Daniel Knost.
Oct 24, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT
GT/GTS races confirmed for split in 2015 by the Pirelli World Challenge series.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT
Gordon leads group of four Chasers in Top 5 speeds; all 8 remaining Chasers within Top 15.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Formula 1’s new technical regulations prompted Lotus to use a twin-tusk nose for 2014, but this could be scrapped for next season.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
The reigning Sprint Cup champion moves forward.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
Bernie Ecclestone allows the team to miss the next two races as it searches for a buyer.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Deputy team boss Federico Gastaldi says the team is close to finalizing its drive line-up, with Grosjean in pole position for the seat.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
A win for Kenseth this Sunday would also put him into the Sprint Cup Championship Race at Homestead next month.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
Two-time Formula One World Champion Emerson Fittipaldi will make an appearance at Austin’s Circuit of the Americas next week as part of a COTA fan experience.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Ricciardo full of praise for Austin and the Circuit of the Americas ahead of next weekend’s race.
The man behind the sculptures: William Behrends’ presence endures for Borg-Warner Trophy, and Giants legends
Oct 24, 2014, 11:09 AM EDT
Statues outside AT&T Park and the faces on the Borg-Warner Trophy share a common thread, in sculptor William Behrends.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Dr. Jean-Francois Payen says that he has noticed some progress in Schumacher’s recovery.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Sauber also complete a test in Spain with Adderly Fong and Roy Nissany.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
Just like Arrows and Super Aguri before it, Caterham is on its last legs. However, it is going out in far less dignified fashion.
Oct 24, 2014, 7:26 AM EDT
Finnbarr O’Connell is now in charge at Leafield as the team prepares for a race against time to make the United States GP in Austin next weekend.
Video from NASCAR America
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and he wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 2
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 3
- Talladega mystery: Did missing woman even make it to NASCAR race? Second fan to disappear in 18 months 14