Jan 4, 2014, 12:22 PM EST
There have been more driver confirmations on a much warmer Saturday in Daytona for the Roar Before the Rolex 24. Here’s Friday’s morning news and notes, then end-of-day wrap. Meanwhile, here’s the latest round of updates:
- Mazda has confirmed the same four full season drivers as were in its GX class Mazda6s last year. Sylvain Tremblay and Tom Long (No. 70) and youngsters Tristan Nunez and Joel Miller (No. 07) will be in the manufacturer’s two SKYACTIV-D P2 prototypes this year. The SpeedSource-run team is yet to confirm additional drivers for the endurance races.
- Michael Shank Racing, unsurprisingly, has confirmed AJ Allmendinger and Justin Wilson alongside its usual pairing of Ozz Negri and John Pew in the team’s No. 60 Ford EcoBoost Riley Daytona Prototype for the Rolex 24. ‘Dinger and Wilson, former Champ Car teammates at RuSPORT, have driven together at Shank four times previously (2006, 2011-‘13), and the quartet won overall in 2012. Additionally, the team has confirmed commercial partnerships with Roberts Service Group and CRC Industries.
- The above prototype signings mean that only four teams: Marsh Racing (No. 31 Corvette DP), OAK Racing (No. 42 Morgan Nissan P2), Highway to Help (No. 50 Riley DP) and SpeedSource (Nos. 07/70 Mazda SKYACTIV-D P2s) are yet to announce their full, finalized lineups. The DeltaWing team may add a fourth driver as well.
- Dempsey Racing confirmed Porsche factory pilot Marc Lieb as its fourth and final driver for the Rolex 24, in the team’s No. 27 Porsche 911 GT America in the GT Daytona class.
Updates will follow with any further news or notes.
Nov 27, 2014, 8:46 PM EST
NHRA team owner Don Schumacher underwent surgery Wednesday for early-stage skin cancer.
Nov 27, 2014, 8:04 PM EST
NASCAR star Kyle Busch and wife Samantha dropped a very big hint that their first child may be a boy.
Nov 27, 2014, 7:28 PM EST
IndyCar driver Graham Rahal and NHRA driver Courtney Force announced their engagement Thursday in Venice, Italy.
Nov 27, 2014, 5:57 PM EST
Police continue to investigate the cause of death of Theresa Benn, who had been missing more than a month before her body was found last week near Talladega Superspeedway.
MST exclusive: BK Racing co-owner Anthony Marlowe apologizes for Cole Whitt/David Ragan tweet controversy
Nov 27, 2014, 3:23 PM EST
BK Racing minority owner Anthony Marlowe offers a public apology to MotorSportsTalk on his inadvertent tweet of Cole Whitt replacing David Ragan in the No. 34 car for 2015.
Nov 27, 2014, 2:16 PM EST
Steve Byrnes of Fox Sports gave friends and family a promising Thanksgiving update about his battle with Stage 4 head-and-neck cancer.
Nov 27, 2014, 10:45 AM EST
Hulkenberg gets an LMP1 opportunity with Porsche at Spa and Le Mans next season.
Nov 27, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
What we’re thankful across the wide spectrum of motorsports in 2014.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:01 PM EST
If you’re in the Charlotte area and want to have a great Black Friday experience, head on over to Charlotte Motor Speedway, where for a donation, you can drive on the actual racetrack.
Sam Hornish Jr. has much to be thankful for: new home, renewed Sprint Cup hopes with Richard Petty Motorsports
Nov 26, 2014, 8:56 PM EST
Sam Hornish Jr. has a lot to give thanks for this Thanksgiving, most notably a new ride and a new lease on his Sprint Cup driving life with Richard Petty Motorsports.
Nov 26, 2014, 4:40 PM EST
NBCSN will present a 14-hour ‘Mecum Marathon’ starting Thursday, Thanksgiving Day.
Nov 26, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
Simon Pagenaud’s Indy 500 Senna tribute helmet to be auctioned for Ayrton Senna Foundation.
Nov 26, 2014, 2:29 PM EST
Front Row Motorsports officials on Wednesday denied rumors of Cole Whitt replacing David Ragan in the No. 34 Ford for 2015.
Nov 26, 2014, 1:58 PM EST
Record cable numbers for F1 on NBCSN this season.
Nov 26, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
A rundown through the field after the final day of on-track running for F1 2014.
Nov 26, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Some NASCAR AMERICA specials are on tap before the end of the year.
Nov 26, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
Marciello gracious for opportunity, and was thinking of Jules Bianchi throughout the day.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:30 AM EST
A.J. Foyt with post-operative complication, but resolved.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:13 AM EST
New Mercedes driver, same place on the charts to close out 2014 F1 season.
Nov 26, 2014, 10:31 AM EST
What’s next for Jean-Eric Vergne? An analysis of his time in F1, and where to from here.
Video from NASCAR America
- IndyCar’s Graham Rahal, NHRA’s Courtney Force engaged 3
- Police seek cause of death of race fan found near Talladega 0
- MST exclusive: BK Racing co-owner Anthony Marlowe apologizes for Cole Whitt/David Ragan tweet controversy 0
- What we’re thankful for in the motorsports world, 2014 1
- Sam Hornish Jr. has much to be thankful for: new home, renewed Sprint Cup hopes with Richard Petty Motorsports 5
- NBCSN’s F1 coverage delivers best ever single-season numbers for a cable network 6
- Mercedes reserve Wehrlein leads final Abu Dhabi test day to end 2014 0