Jan 4, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT
There have been more driver confirmations on a much warmer Saturday in Daytona for the Roar Before the Rolex 24. Here’s Friday’s morning news and notes, then end-of-day wrap. Meanwhile, here’s the latest round of updates:
- Mazda has confirmed the same four full season drivers as were in its GX class Mazda6s last year. Sylvain Tremblay and Tom Long (No. 70) and youngsters Tristan Nunez and Joel Miller (No. 07) will be in the manufacturer’s two SKYACTIV-D P2 prototypes this year. The SpeedSource-run team is yet to confirm additional drivers for the endurance races.
- Michael Shank Racing, unsurprisingly, has confirmed AJ Allmendinger and Justin Wilson alongside its usual pairing of Ozz Negri and John Pew in the team’s No. 60 Ford EcoBoost Riley Daytona Prototype for the Rolex 24. ‘Dinger and Wilson, former Champ Car teammates at RuSPORT, have driven together at Shank four times previously (2006, 2011-‘13), and the quartet won overall in 2012. Additionally, the team has confirmed commercial partnerships with Roberts Service Group and CRC Industries.
- The above prototype signings mean that only four teams: Marsh Racing (No. 31 Corvette DP), OAK Racing (No. 42 Morgan Nissan P2), Highway to Help (No. 50 Riley DP) and SpeedSource (Nos. 07/70 Mazda SKYACTIV-D P2s) are yet to announce their full, finalized lineups. The DeltaWing team may add a fourth driver as well.
- Dempsey Racing confirmed Porsche factory pilot Marc Lieb as its fourth and final driver for the Rolex 24, in the team’s No. 27 Porsche 911 GT America in the GT Daytona class.
Updates will follow with any further news or notes.
Oct 19, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
The Captain doesn’t mind some emotion and edge from his veteran driver.
Oct 19, 2014, 8:19 PM EDT
If you’re a hardcore NASCAR fan, even if your favorite driver has been eliminated for the remainder of the Chase for the Sprint Cup, you’re probably asking a very poignant question: Now what?
Oct 19, 2014, 7:43 PM EDT
Newman finished fifth in today’s race at Talladega and entered the Eliminator Round of the Chase with a 27-point cushion over the cutoff.
Oct 19, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
While they’re still missing a checkered flag, Newman and Kenseth are doing what they have to do.
Oct 19, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
Hendrick Motorsports began Sunday at Talladega with four teams still in the Chase for the Sprint Cup. But its race day ended with three of those four eliminated from advancing to the next round, and veteran Jeff Gordon left as the lone HMS to move on.
Oct 19, 2014, 6:01 PM EDT
Defending Sprint Cup champ Jimmie Johnson, teammates Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Kasey Kahne, and Kyle Busch were all eliminated from advancing in the Chase Sunday at Talladega.
Oct 19, 2014, 5:46 PM EDT
One week after being part of the post-race controversy in Charlotte, Keselowski gets the victory he needed to keep his season going.
Oct 19, 2014, 5:35 PM EDT
Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s dream of his first Sprint Cup championship this season ended in a nightmare two laps from the end of Sunday’s Geico 500 at Talladega Superspeedway.
Oct 19, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT
Busch had been up 26 points over the Chase cutoff going into today’s race.
Oct 19, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT
Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson – in must-win situations – have been among the top performers in Sunday’s Geico 500 at Talladega Superspeedway.
Oct 19, 2014, 3:27 PM EDT
Keselowski one of several drivers needing a win today at Talladega.
Oct 19, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT
When it comes to the NHRA, there’s only one Pomona. And now there’s a new book to commemorate the upcoming 50th anniversary of the season-ending NHRA World Finals.
Surprising revelation: Dale Jr. admits he coasted earlier in his career — ‘I just rested on my legacy and last name’
Oct 19, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT
In one of the most candid interviews of his career, Dale Earnhardt Jr. admitted that he hasn’t always been as determined and focused on success as he is now.
Oct 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
The motorsport world continues to send its support to Bianchi and his family two weeks on from his accident in Japan.
Oct 19, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT
One day after it was revealed that Richard Petty Motorsports will have to find a new base for its racing operations, the legendary Hall of Famer’s teams are going home in a sense.
Oct 19, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
Junior: “We’re going to go out there and try to accomplish that goal and give it all we’ve got.”
Oct 19, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Esteban Ocon champion as the FIA F3 European Championship season comes to an end at Hockenheim in Germany.
Oct 19, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Former F1 driver will consider his options for 2015 over the winter.
Oct 19, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
They named him “Baby Schumi” back in 2008, and the moniker is becoming all the more relevant as he prepares for life with Ferrari in 2015.
Video from NASCAR America
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 0
- What now if your favorite driver is eliminated from Chase? 1
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10
- UPDATED: Chase contender Kyle Busch back on track after Lap 102 crash (VIDEO) 0
- Faced with must-win scenarios, Earnhardt, Johnson lead halfway at Talladega 0
- Surprising revelation: Dale Jr. admits he coasted earlier in his career — ‘I just rested on my legacy and last name’ 0
- With nothing left to do but win, Dale Earnhardt Jr. faces Talladega with optimism 0