Jan 5, 2014, 3:53 PM EDT
The Roar Before the Rolex 24 test has just concluded from the Daytona International Speedway. We’ll delve into today’s times either later today or tomorrow.
Additionally as the test has ended, IMSA, sanctioning body for the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship, has just released the 2014 sporting rules package. We’ll be able to explain this in full detail later this week. For now, here’s the release as sent out by IMSA:
International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) officials delivered the 2014 sporting rules package to teams participating in the inaugural TUDOR United SportsCar Championship as Roar Before The Rolex 24 testing wrapped up at Daytona International Speedway.
“The final component of the merger between the American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón and the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series is now in place,” said Scot Elkins, IMSA vice president, competition and technical regulations. “Bringing together two series, which operated under markedly different rules, was a mammoth undertaking. We took advantage of the opportunity to closely examine the rules and procedures utilized by GRAND-AM and the previous iteration of IMSA to create a package that includes best practices from both.”
The 2014 IMSA Sporting Rules include many of the regulations and procedures announced last summer. Notable items introduced today include:
- The TUDOR Championship points system will be identical to the one utilized previously in the GRAND-AM Rolex Series, with 35 points for first, 32 for second, 30 for third, 28 for fourth and 26 for fifth. Sixth place is worth 25 points with each subsequent finishing position decreasing by one point.
- Drivers can be entered to drive a maximum of two cars. Drivers will be eligible for championship points and awards in two different classes from the same race if they complete minimum driving requirements in each and do not exceed the maximum driving time. Drivers entered in two cars in the same class at the same event will only receive points in one of the cars and must declare that car no later than one hour prior to the event’s first official practice session.
- Drivers must participate in at least one practice, qualifying or warm-up session in every car in which they are nominated. They must complete at least three laps during a scheduled night practice for every event run partly at night in order to drive at night in the race.
- Any car found out of compliance with the rules may be removed from consideration for prize money and points and other finishers advance accordingly.
- Different drivers are eligible to qualify and start the race, similar to the procedure previously used by the ALMS. Starting drivers must be nominated no later than 30 minutes after qualifying ends.
- Drivers causing a red-flag stoppage during qualifying will lose their fastest timed lap in the session. Drivers involved in incidents that cause qualifying to be abandoned will be placed at the rear of the starting grid.
- Cars must remain in position within their starting column until after they cross the starting line after the green flag is displayed. On restarts, overtaking may commence at the display of the green flag.
- Pits will be closed at the time a full-course caution is announced.
- If deemed appropriate, the race director shall authorize a pass-around for any car that has its class leader behind it.
- P and PC cars will be permitted to pit on the first lap after the pits are declared open. Only GTLM and GTD cars are permitted to pit on the subsequent lap. Any car is permitted to pit after the first two class-specific opportunities are concluded.
- Race control will authorize a Lap Down Wave By for any car behind the safety car that was not on the lead lap at the time of a full-course caution that is ahead of the first car in their class on the lead lap at the time of the full-course caution.
- The class-specific separation for pit stops and the Lap Down Wave By are not in effect for any safety car period within 15 minutes of a previous green flag – including the race start – or during the final 30 minutes of the race.
- Cars are not required to take the checkered flag on the race track to be eligible for a finishing position, points or awards.
The 2014 TUDOR Championship opens with the 52nd Rolex 24 At Daytona on Jan. 25-26.
Jul 31, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Nasr calls on the team to make it through a rough patch ahead of the next raft of updates in Belgium.
Jul 31, 2015, 4:35 PM EDT
The Mid-Ohio dominator tops Friday practice in 2015.
Jul 31, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Verstappen joins Team Redline’s sim racing roster in a bid to keep sharp when not on the track.
Jul 31, 2015, 2:57 PM EDT
Some news and notes from the paddock at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.
Jul 31, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
We round up all of the latest news and developments in Formula E ahead of pre-season testing next month.
Jul 31, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
With victory in Hungary, Vettel closed the gap at the top to 42 points – but can he catch Lewis Hamilton and challenge for a fifth world title?
Jul 31, 2015, 12:07 PM EDT
First blood to Bourdais in practice at Mid-Ohio ahead of Power and Newgarden.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:24 AM EDT
Hinchcliffe’s recovery continues following his accident in practice for the Indy 500 back in May.
Jul 31, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Gutierrez claims his work in a reserve role at Ferrari is helping to open up some new opportunities for 2016.
Jul 31, 2015, 8:42 AM EDT
Josef Newgarden’s future will become a talking point at some stage, but it appears it will be after the season.
Jul 31, 2015, 7:26 AM EDT
Umphrey’s McGee on a GTSport Racing Porsche Cayman S? Believe it.
Jul 31, 2015, 7:00 AM EDT
TV times from Mid-Ohio this weekend.
Jul 30, 2015, 5:11 PM EDT
Discounted tickets set to go on sale this Friday in a bid to improve attendance figures.
Jul 30, 2015, 4:48 PM EDT
Derrick Walker on the prowl for whatever’s next in his long racing career.
Jul 30, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
Despite running fifth in the standings with three races to go, Power hasn’t given up on retaining the no. 1 for 2016.
Jul 30, 2015, 2:22 PM EDT
The 2016 F1 season is set to swell to a record 21 races.
Jul 30, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Ericsson reflects on his first half-season with Sauber that has brought his first points in F1, but also presented some missed opportunities.
Jul 30, 2015, 12:22 PM EDT
Derrick Walker to resign from INDYCAR at year’s end.
Jul 30, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
With seven races at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course this weekend, it’s an important one for the entire Mazda Road to Indy.
Jul 30, 2015, 10:42 AM EDT
His recent record may suggest otherwise, but Castroneves believes he can gun for the race win this weekend.
- Dixon fastest on Friday at Mid-Ohio 0
- Hinchcliffe undergoes final surgery, now “can’t wait to be strapping back in” 1
- With 2016 plans undetermined, Newgarden focused on finishing 2015 strong 0
- Racing, music blend as Umphrey’s McGee partners with GTSport Racing for rest of 2015 PWC season 1
- Exploring what’s next for Derrick Walker as he announces he’s leaving IndyCar 0
- INDYCAR announces Derrick Walker has resigned from series 8
- Preview: Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio critical in IndyCar title chase 1