Jan 5, 2014, 3:53 PM EDT
The Roar Before the Rolex 24 test has just concluded from the Daytona International Speedway. We’ll delve into today’s times either later today or tomorrow.
Additionally as the test has ended, IMSA, sanctioning body for the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship, has just released the 2014 sporting rules package. We’ll be able to explain this in full detail later this week. For now, here’s the release as sent out by IMSA:
International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) officials delivered the 2014 sporting rules package to teams participating in the inaugural TUDOR United SportsCar Championship as Roar Before The Rolex 24 testing wrapped up at Daytona International Speedway.
“The final component of the merger between the American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón and the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series is now in place,” said Scot Elkins, IMSA vice president, competition and technical regulations. “Bringing together two series, which operated under markedly different rules, was a mammoth undertaking. We took advantage of the opportunity to closely examine the rules and procedures utilized by GRAND-AM and the previous iteration of IMSA to create a package that includes best practices from both.”
The 2014 IMSA Sporting Rules include many of the regulations and procedures announced last summer. Notable items introduced today include:
- The TUDOR Championship points system will be identical to the one utilized previously in the GRAND-AM Rolex Series, with 35 points for first, 32 for second, 30 for third, 28 for fourth and 26 for fifth. Sixth place is worth 25 points with each subsequent finishing position decreasing by one point.
- Drivers can be entered to drive a maximum of two cars. Drivers will be eligible for championship points and awards in two different classes from the same race if they complete minimum driving requirements in each and do not exceed the maximum driving time. Drivers entered in two cars in the same class at the same event will only receive points in one of the cars and must declare that car no later than one hour prior to the event’s first official practice session.
- Drivers must participate in at least one practice, qualifying or warm-up session in every car in which they are nominated. They must complete at least three laps during a scheduled night practice for every event run partly at night in order to drive at night in the race.
- Any car found out of compliance with the rules may be removed from consideration for prize money and points and other finishers advance accordingly.
- Different drivers are eligible to qualify and start the race, similar to the procedure previously used by the ALMS. Starting drivers must be nominated no later than 30 minutes after qualifying ends.
- Drivers causing a red-flag stoppage during qualifying will lose their fastest timed lap in the session. Drivers involved in incidents that cause qualifying to be abandoned will be placed at the rear of the starting grid.
- Cars must remain in position within their starting column until after they cross the starting line after the green flag is displayed. On restarts, overtaking may commence at the display of the green flag.
- Pits will be closed at the time a full-course caution is announced.
- If deemed appropriate, the race director shall authorize a pass-around for any car that has its class leader behind it.
- P and PC cars will be permitted to pit on the first lap after the pits are declared open. Only GTLM and GTD cars are permitted to pit on the subsequent lap. Any car is permitted to pit after the first two class-specific opportunities are concluded.
- Race control will authorize a Lap Down Wave By for any car behind the safety car that was not on the lead lap at the time of a full-course caution that is ahead of the first car in their class on the lead lap at the time of the full-course caution.
- The class-specific separation for pit stops and the Lap Down Wave By are not in effect for any safety car period within 15 minutes of a previous green flag – including the race start – or during the final 30 minutes of the race.
- Cars are not required to take the checkered flag on the race track to be eligible for a finishing position, points or awards.
The 2014 TUDOR Championship opens with the 52nd Rolex 24 At Daytona on Jan. 25-26.
Aug 27, 2015, 6:14 PM EDT
Oriol Servia will race in what was Justin Wilson’s car this weekend at Sonoma.
Aug 27, 2015, 4:21 PM EDT
IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge in a motorcade, for pre-title buildup and to pay tribute to Justin Wilson.
Aug 27, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Aleshin returns to IndyCar this weekend after a year away.
Aug 27, 2015, 3:14 PM EDT
All cars to carry special tribute logos, decals for Justin Wilson this weekend, with Wilson’s old team also paying tribute.
Aug 27, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Rahal out to claim his third win of the season at Sonoma, believing it will be the only way to beat Juan Pablo Montoya to the 2015 Verizon IndyCar Series title.
Aug 27, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Max Chilton has two years of F1 experience under his belt, but believes Ferrari will have a big say in who Haas hires for 2016.
Aug 27, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Vettel defends Ferrari’s decision to try a one-stop strategy at Spa after suffering a tire failure on the penultimate lap of the race.
Aug 27, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Fast facts heading into this weekend’s season finale, the GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma, courtesy of IndyCar PR staff.
Aug 27, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
Victory at Spa gives Rossi momentum heading into the final four rounds of the 2015 season, and potentially in the race for a seat with Haas F1 Team next season.
Aug 27, 2015, 8:36 AM EDT
Off the back of winning Le Mans, Porsche confirms it will stay in the FIA World Endurance Championship for at least another three years.
Aug 26, 2015, 8:08 PM EDT
Just in time for the biggest race in drag racing, next weekend’s (Sept. 2-7) NHRA U.S. Nationals, Erica Enders is back where she wants to be: leading the NHRA Pro Stock point standings.
Aug 26, 2015, 6:06 PM EDT
Double the amount of base points, in addition to bonus points, could have a major impact on who emerges as the 2015 IndyCar Series champion Sunday at Sonoma Raceway.
Aug 26, 2015, 3:52 PM EDT
This past Sunday’s ABC Supply 500 Verizon IndyCar Series race at Pocono Raceway proved to be a very costly proposition for numerous teams.
Aug 26, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
INDYCAR announced on Wednesday several infractions and manufacturer championship points updates following this past Sunday’s ABC Supply 500 at Pocono Raceway.
IndyCar flashback: Justin Wilson finishes second, Will Power/Scott Dixon controversy at Sonoma 2013 (video)
Aug 26, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
There will likely be heavy hearts, tears and a great deal of emotion at this weekend’s season-ending Go-Pro Grand Prix of Sonoma, as the mourning for driver Justin Wilson continues.
Six remaining IndyCar championship contenders to be busy in the days leading up to big race at Sonoma
Aug 26, 2015, 1:27 PM EDT
The six remaining Verizon IndyCar Series contenders will be pretty busy over the next few days prior to Sunday’s championship-deciding Go-Pro Grand Prix of Sonoma.
Aug 25, 2015, 5:57 PM EDT
Allmendinger, Castroneves, Diffey and more reflect on the life lived by Justin Wilson.
Aug 25, 2015, 3:59 PM EDT
Tribute to Justin Wilson set to air on Tuesday night’s NASCAR AMERICA on NBCSN.
Aug 25, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
Justin Wilson saves six lives with organ donation, his brother confirms.
Aug 25, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT
Prost leads while Andretti FE makes powertrain switch to cap off Formula E testing at Donington Park.
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 2
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 2
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 1
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3
- IndyCar flashback: Justin Wilson finishes second, Will Power/Scott Dixon controversy at Sonoma 2013 (video) 3
- Report: FIA to conduct closed cockpit tests next month 13
- DiZinno: Justin Wilson’s enduring legacy, positive spirit loom as large as his frame 2