Jan 5, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Four test sessions occurred on Saturday at the Daytona International Speedway for the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship’s Roar Before the Rolex 24, and with temperatures upwards of 30 degrees warmer than they had been on Friday, teams were able to gather a better read on times and data.
Jamie McMurray, who we wrote yesterday is one of only three full-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series drivers confirmed to run the Rolex 24, led the overall (and P class) timesheets in the No. 01 Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates Ford EcoBoost Riley at 1:38.980. The CGR pair of cars, plus the sister Ford Riley of Michael Shank Racing, had to leave a day early as the engines suffered exhaust header failures. GP2 runner-up Sam Bird led the PC class for the day in a Starworks Motorsport ORECA FLM09 at 1:42.010.
Jan Magnussen (pictured right), father of McLaren Formula One rookie Kevin, led the GTLM competitors in the new factory Corvette C7.R with a best time of 1:46.010, with the lone Aston Martin Vantage in class and the sister Corvette next up in the 1:46 bracket. The GTD class was tightly bunched, as throughout the day the top 10 or 11 were roughly within a second and the top 18 or 19 separated by less than two. Jan Heylen led the times with a 1:48.228 in the No. 58 Snow Racing Porsche 911 GT America, run in partnership with Wright Motorsports and JDX Racing.
A link to all four of the day’s session PDFs, via IMSAtiming.com, is below. Meanwhile I’ll also give a shout out to two sports car super fans, Ben Wedge and Kevin Welling, who have dug deeper into the data, section times and top speeds, to analyze the respective car performances. Both of their Twitter feeds (@TheBenWedge, @Kevin_Welling) provide a lot of valuable technical data.
Final Balance of Performance adjustments across the TUDOR Championship’s four classes – P, PC, GTLM and GTD – are expected after the Roar this weekend.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR schedule reveals some potential 2015 IndyCar schedule hints; Texas IndyCar returns 2
- Kevin Harvick riled at Tony Stewart portrayal in Kevin Ward Jr. tragedy 90
- Like a good stew, 2015 Sprint Cup schedule and new Chase format need time to simmer for best taste 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: How did the 2015 schedule come together? (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR announces 2015 Sprint Cup, Nationwide, and Truck Series schedules (VIDEO) 5
- FIA won’t punish Nico Rosberg after Belgian GP incident with Lewis Hamilton 15
- Will Power once again in position for IndyCar title – but this time feels different 1