Jan 5, 2014, 8:21 PM EDT
Richard Westbrook took the No. 90 Spirit of Daytona Corvette DP to P1 overall and among the Prototype class in Sunday’s final run of testing in the Roar Before the Rolex 24 at Daytona International Speedway.
Westbrook logged a lap of 1 minute, 39.748 seconds (128.484 mph) in the No. 90, which he’ll share with full-time teammate Michael Valiante and Mike Rockenfeller for the Rolex on Jan. 25.
Altogether, it was a much better time at Daytona for SDR, which avoided disaster in the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship tire test this past November at the track. During that session, Westbrook got airborne after suffering a tire failure at high speed but, thankfully, walked away from the incident.
“That was the worst possible start for our 2014 campaign,” Westbrook said in a statement. “Ironically, it’s helped turn everything around. Now, we’ve got a brand new car, the guys are on top of it, and I’ve got two great teammates.
“It’s still early, but we had a fantastic, trouble-free test and a nice car. Daytona is a fantastic place to drive when you have a nice car.”
Sam Bird continued to set the pace in the Prototype Challenge category. After topping the PC charts on Saturday, he did it again Sunday with a lap of 1 minute, 42.704 seconds (124.786 mph) in the No. 8 Starworks Motorsports ORECA FLM09.
In GT Le Mans, Corvette Racing’s Oliver Gavin was fastest on Sunday with a time of 1 minute, 45.915 seconds (121.003 mph) in the No. 4 Corvette C7.R. However, in regard to the entire weekend, that wasn’t enough to supplant Nick Tandy of Porsche North America, whose lap of 1 minute, 45.564 seconds on Friday was the fastest GTLM lap throughout the Roar.
Marcus Winkelhock and the No. 45 Flying Lizard Motorsports Audi R8 LMS was today’s fastest in GT Daytona, posting a lap of 1 minute, 48.462 seconds (118.161 mph). Another of the No. 45′s co-drivers, Spencer Pumpelly, had logged what would be the best GTD time all weekend on Friday (1:47.981/118.688 mph).
- Talladega Nights-inspired restaurant sued by Sony Pictures 0
- It’s happy hour at Team Penske after Vegas sweep (VIDEO) 1
- Australian GP wide open, both from past stats and preseason tests 0
- For Josef Newgarden, year three is chance to enter IndyCar’s elite 1
- Kanaan set for more than just Indy 500 success with Ganassi switch in 2014 2
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Busch news kicks off what may be a busy Tuesday for IndyCar (5)