Jan 6, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT
Still, the 20-year-old Wallace – who made history this past season by becoming the first African-American driver to win a NASCAR national series race since 1963 – finds himself in some good company on the list.
Among others, the “30 Under 30″ sports list also features basketball star Lebron James, U.S. Olympic mainstays Shaun White and Lindsey Vonn, and baseball phenoms Mike Trout and Bryce Harper.
According to Forbes, the list was selected by a three-judge panel – former NFL executive Joseph Bailey, Golden State Warriors co-owner Peter Guber, and sports business consultant Shawn McBride.
In the magazine’s words, the candidates selected fall into two categories: “professional athletes who boast strong personal brands or carry major importance to their sports, and young executives or entrepreneurs making a mark in the industry.”
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Former FIA prez Max Mosley rubbishes F1′s ongoing noise saga (6)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (6)