Jan 6, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT
Still, the 20-year-old Wallace – who made history this past season by becoming the first African-American driver to win a NASCAR national series race since 1963 – finds himself in some good company on the list.
Among others, the “30 Under 30″ sports list also features basketball star Lebron James, U.S. Olympic mainstays Shaun White and Lindsey Vonn, and baseball phenoms Mike Trout and Bryce Harper.
According to Forbes, the list was selected by a three-judge panel – former NFL executive Joseph Bailey, Golden State Warriors co-owner Peter Guber, and sports business consultant Shawn McBride.
In the magazine’s words, the candidates selected fall into two categories: “professional athletes who boast strong personal brands or carry major importance to their sports, and young executives or entrepreneurs making a mark in the industry.”
- Dixon fastest on Friday at Mid-Ohio 0
- Hinchcliffe undergoes final surgery, now “can’t wait to be strapping back in” 1
- With 2016 plans undetermined, Newgarden focused on finishing 2015 strong 0
- Racing, music blend as Umphrey’s McGee partners with GTSport Racing for rest of 2015 PWC season 1
- Exploring what’s next for Derrick Walker as he announces he’s leaving IndyCar 0
- INDYCAR announces Derrick Walker has resigned from series 9
- Preview: Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio critical in IndyCar title chase 1