Jan 6, 2014, 3:42 PM EDT
David Reutimann is officially one-and-done at BK Racing, as the team has announced a mutual decision between themselves and the Florida native to part ways effective immediately.
Reutimann ran just one year with BKR. He had a dismal 2013, posting just one Top-20 all season (16th at the Daytona 500) and finishing 33rd in the Sprint Cup championship. Additionally, he scored the fewest points (465) and led the fewest laps (one, at Phoenix in March) among competitors that raced in all 36 Cup races.
“Due to the current uncertainty of the team’s 2014 driver lineup, driver David Reutimann has decided not to pursue a seat with BK Racing for 2014,” the team said in a statement. “No official driver lineup for the upcoming season is currently available at this time.”
Reutimann is a two-time race winner on the Cup circuit but has not won since 2010. In fact, he hasn’t earned a Top-10 finish since finishing seventh for Michael Waltrip Racing in the 2011 fall race at Phoenix.
As for who could take over Reutimann’s now-former ride, the No. 83 Toyota, Alex Bowman may be the prime candidate. Bowman subbed in for Reutimann during last month’s NASCAR aero testing at Charlotte and is slated to test the car again during this week’s Preseason Thunder sessions at Daytona.
- IndyCar’s championship contenders ready their thoughts, minds for Sonoma finale 0
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 5
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 6
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3