Jan 7, 2014, 9:26 AM EST
The new all-electric FIA Formula E Championship has had a demo run in the U.S. before in Los Angeles, but not to the degree that the first official public demo did yesterday.
The series’ official car – the Spark Renault launched in September at the Frankfurt Motor Show – turned heads and laps up and down the Las Vegas Strip in front of a throng of fans, media and onlookers. Lucas di Grassi, who’s been involved in the car’s testing, was behind the wheel.
“2014 is a very big year for Formula E with the championship starting in September so it’s important to be starting on such a positive note,” series CEO Alejandro Agag said, via its official website. “Today will also be the first of many roadshows we have planned over the coming months as we want as many people as possible to see, and hear, what we believe is the future of motorsport.”
Have a quick look at the video above. It’s a big public entrance for the series that has attracted a wealth of mainstream media attention, as well as involvement from Hollywood with Leonardo DiCaprio and Sir Richard Branson both part of team ownership.
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 1
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 1