Jan 7, 2014, 10:29 AM EDT
McLaren didn’t win any races, or even score any podiums, in what was a frustrating 2013 campaign. But, the legendary British team may be the first to launch their 2014 challenger. Mercedes has also announced for Jan. 28.
From the team this morning: “We will reveal our 2014 Formula 1 car, the MP4-29, during an online-only digital launch at 12:00pm midday UK time on Friday January 24.”
Whether that will be the first launch of a 2014 chassis is still yet to be determined. But there’s a few things we need to look out for with this launch:
- The presence of its new title sponsor, with Vodafone out. The 2014 season could be a “stop-gap” season on the primary sponsor role if the Honda power unit presence in 2015 means it has any say on the livery. Alternatively, a new title sponsor for 2014 could carry the brand forward for a long time to come. The 2006 season saw a “stop-gap” livery in-between the departure of West after 2005, per tightened tobacco regulations, and Vodafone’s introduction ahead of 2007.
- Kevin Magnussen’s presence. The rookie will be introduced in full McLaren guise, beyond just interviews as one of its junior drivers, on this occasion.
- The car itself. Renderings have made the 2014 cars look awkward at certain spots, so seeing what a 2014 chassis looks like in the flesh will produce its own round of reactions.
Mar 26, 2015, 11:31 PM EDT
Defending world champion forced to stop his car out on track early in practice, but Rosberg enjoys a more fruitful session.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
Malaysian GP FP1 about to launch.
Mar 26, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
Finnish driver believes that the team has made a big step forward over the winter.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
A quick look through the runners in Indy Lights, Pro Mazda and USF2000 for 2015.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Difficulties faced by a number of teams give Sauber an early chance to rack up some points.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
“I find it quite funny and interesting that the opinion is coming from individuals who have had so much success.”
Mar 26, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT
He’s finally the champion, but Will Power enters 2015 still with more to prove.
Mar 26, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
NBCSN’s Will Buxton brings you the latest insight and interviews ahead of the Malaysian Grand Prix.
Mar 26, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Spaniard rejects claim that he thought he was in 1995 following his accident in pre-season.
Mar 26, 2015, 12:09 PM EDT
Two-time NHRA Funny Car champion Cruz Pedregon and NASCAR Sprint Cup driver Joey Logano spent an afternoon in each other’s respective worlds — and cars — on Wednesday.
Mar 26, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Luke Smith and Tony DiZinno give their verdict on this weekend’s Malaysian GP as Fernando returns, Manor hopes to fire up, and Red Bull prepares to declare war on Renault.
Mar 26, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Formula 1 heads to Malaysia for the second round of the 2015 season, but will Lewis Hamilton be able to double up and maintain his winning streak?
Mar 26, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
Coyne heads into the season with two lesser experienced drivers, but looks to play spoiler.
Mar 26, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
IndyCar has a wave of younger talent in the series, who need to start winning sooner rather than later.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Both drivers failed to race in Australia due to injury, but will return this weekend.
Mar 26, 2015, 6:38 AM EDT
Ex-Force India and Sauber man moves to Williams for 2015.
Mar 25, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT
Fernando Alonso will start his 2015 F1 season in the Malaysian Grand Prix.
Mar 25, 2015, 3:57 PM EDT
After both of its cars failed to finish a lap in the season opener, Lotus looks toward the Malaysian Grand Prix.
Mar 25, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
Your Malaysian GP TV times for this weekend on NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra.
Mar 25, 2015, 2:15 PM EDT
Daniil Kyvat putting Melbourne mishap behind him going into Malaysia Grand Prix.
- Rosberg quickest in Malaysia FP1 as Hamilton hits trouble 0
- Now IndyCar’s champion, Will Power’s mindset hasn’t changed heading into 2015 0
- Alonso moves to clear up testing crash conspiracy theories 1
- NHRA Funny Car driver Cruz Pedregon trades seats for a day with NASCAR counterpart Joey Logano 2
- Can IndyCar’s next generation take it to the established veterans? 1
- Fernando Alonso talks return in Malaysian GP 2
- Nowhere to go but up for Lotus at Malaysia GP 3