Jan 7, 2014, 10:29 AM EDT
McLaren didn’t win any races, or even score any podiums, in what was a frustrating 2013 campaign. But, the legendary British team may be the first to launch their 2014 challenger. Mercedes has also announced for Jan. 28.
From the team this morning: “We will reveal our 2014 Formula 1 car, the MP4-29, during an online-only digital launch at 12:00pm midday UK time on Friday January 24.”
Whether that will be the first launch of a 2014 chassis is still yet to be determined. But there’s a few things we need to look out for with this launch:
- The presence of its new title sponsor, with Vodafone out. The 2014 season could be a “stop-gap” season on the primary sponsor role if the Honda power unit presence in 2015 means it has any say on the livery. Alternatively, a new title sponsor for 2014 could carry the brand forward for a long time to come. The 2006 season saw a “stop-gap” livery in-between the departure of West after 2005, per tightened tobacco regulations, and Vodafone’s introduction ahead of 2007.
- Kevin Magnussen’s presence. The rookie will be introduced in full McLaren guise, beyond just interviews as one of its junior drivers, on this occasion.
- The car itself. Renderings have made the 2014 cars look awkward at certain spots, so seeing what a 2014 chassis looks like in the flesh will produce its own round of reactions.
Apr 20, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The joys of return flights home from the West Coast for the IndyCar community..
Apr 20, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Another tough day at office for Honda, Newgarden comes up short of top-five and other tidbits from Long Beach.
Apr 20, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Sebastian Saavedra has a clean, quiet, consistent weekend and ended P10 on debut for Ganassi.
Apr 20, 2015, 12:49 PM EDT
It was a bizarre weekend for Dale Coyne’s No. 18, which saw one driver replaced before the weekend began, one injured before getting the chance to debut, and one finally getting a long overdue shot.
Apr 20, 2015, 11:38 AM EDT
Long Beach got off to a great start, courtesy of Patrick Stewart’s enthusiastic command to start engines.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
It may have been a routine victory for Lewis Hamilton in Bahrain, but both Nico Rosberg and Kimi Raikkonen showed some of the fight that has been lacking in recent months.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Ferrari team principal believes two mistakes from the four-time world champion cost him a place on the podium in Bahrain.
Apr 20, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
A mistake by Sebastian Vettel allows Bottas to take fourth place on Sunday in Bahrain.
Apr 19, 2015, 9:53 PM EDT
JPM, Helio laugh about the four nationalities represented at Team Penske.
Apr 19, 2015, 7:41 PM EDT
Bobby Unser praises Scott Dixon, while Dixon himself downplays the accomplishment.
Apr 19, 2015, 6:18 PM EDT
Scott Dixon finally wins in Long Beach.
Apr 19, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
The nine-time world champion extends his lead at the top of the riders’ championship in MotoGP.
Apr 19, 2015, 5:32 PM EDT
Dixon leads halfway at Long Beach.
Apr 19, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Romain Grosjean manages to salvage some points for Lotus in Bahrain, finishing seventh.
Apr 19, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Ed Jones survives streets of Long Beach to win Round 3 for Indy Lights.
Apr 19, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
Ricciardo finishes the race in a blaze of glory, but holds on to sixth place for Red Bull.
Apr 19, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
Watch the third round of the IndyCar season, from the streets of Long Beach, at 4 p.m. ET on NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra.
Apr 19, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
German driver was forced to make an unscheduled pit stop towards the end of the race in Bahrain after running over the kerbs at the final corner.
Apr 19, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Watch the third round of the Indy Lights season today at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN.
- Hamilton may have won again, but it was Raikkonen and Rosberg who stood out in Bahrain 5
- Scott Dixon breaks through for elusive Long Beach win 2
- Hamilton pleased to fend off Ferrari in Bahrain despite last lap brake scare 1
- Hamilton puts on a show under the lights to win Bahrain GP 6
- Off The Grid: Melbourne premieres 1:30pm ET on NBCSN (VIDEO) 0
- Castroneves secures pole in IndyCar qualifying at Long Beach 1
- Hamilton eases to fourth straight pole position in Bahrain 0