Jan 7, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Pirelli will remain the official title sponsor and tire for the Pirelli World Challenge championships through the 2018 season, as a five-year extension was announced today by WC Vision and Pirelli Tire North America.
The partnership dates back to the fall of 2010, when Pirelli came on board as the series’ exclusive tire supplier. A short time later, Pirelli opted to also take on title sponsorship for the series.
“The five-year extension communicates the strong bond between our two brands,” WC Vision president/CEO Scott Bove said in a release. “At the heart of that bond is the P Zero slick and rain tire. Our teams and drivers are unanimous in their love for the P Zero as it gives them the foundation to run full out at 100 percent each and every race.
“Pirelli is a world-leading brand and we are proud to have our series titled the Pirelli World Challenge.”
With the extension, that bond is set to strengthen even further now as the series heads for its 25th anniversary season this coming spring.
This year, teams in the TC, TCA and TCB categories will use a new, longer-lasting Pirelli P Zero tire that is projected to wear over two race weekends instead of just one.
Additionally, teams now have a pre-pay option that enables them to earn “P Zero Dollars” toward purchasing new Pirelli tires as the season progresses.
Video from NASCAR America
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 8
- Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED) 8
- Statement from Caterham provides unclear future for team’s plans (UPDATED) 3
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. featured in new concussion awareness initiative (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon’s “Drive For Five” continues at Martinsville (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR won’t penalize Ryan Newman, No. 31 team for Talladega infraction 0
- Total CEO dies in Moscow plane crash 1