Jan 8, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
The team now known as Lotus has backed out of the first Formula One test this year. The team formerly known as Lotus, now Caterham, has not.
The Leafield-based squad confirmed it will run at all three tests, Jerez and both in Bahrain, which is an excellent sign. The team will launch its new car on January 28, the first day at Jerez. Mercedes also launches its car that day; McLaren announced an online-only launch for Jan. 24 on Tuesday.
Caterham also remains the most intriguing team on the driver lineup front, as the only squad yet to confirm a single driver for 2014. A report on the official Formula One website lists the team’s 2013 drivers Charles Pic and Giedo van der Garde, along with Heikki Kovalainen, Kamui Kobayashi and Marcus Ericsson as contenders for the seats. That more or less confirms rumors over the last month or so. Caterham reserve driver Alexander Rossi will be in Daytona for the Rolex 24 on Jan. 25-26, racing the DeltaWing.
You figure we may get one or perhaps both driver announcements before the Jerez test, which runs Jan. 28-31. Bahrain’s pair of four-day tests are Feb. 19-22 and Feb. 27-March 2.
After finishing 10th in 2010, 2011 and 2012, Caterham fell to 11th in this year’s Constructor’s Championship behind fellow tail-ender Marussia.
- IndyCar’s championship contenders ready their thoughts, minds for Sonoma finale 0
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 5
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 6
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3