Jan 8, 2014, 2:39 PM EDT
The Sprint Cup Series opens up this week’s Preseason Thunder at Daytona International Speedway with two days of testing on the 2.5-mile oval tomorrow and Friday.
Four Cup teams will not be taking part in the Thunder sessions. Most notably absent is 2013 Chase team Furniture Row Racing, which features Martin Truex Jr. as its new driver this upcoming season. Also not taking part are JTG Daugherty Racing, Front Row Motorsports, and Phil Parsons Racing.
Mark Martin will test the No. 14 Stewart Haas Racing Chevrolet for Tony Stewart, who is still recovering from the broken right leg he sustained last summer. Also subbing in is Jeff Burton, who will test Michael Waltrip Racing’s No. 56 Toyota in place of Brian Vickers. Vickers had his 2013 season cut short due to a blood clot in his right leg.
Here’s the full entry list for Thursday and Friday’s tests:
|NSCS DAYTONA TEST JANUARY 9-10, 2014|
|2||Penske||Brad Keselowski, Rusty Wallace|
|88||HMS||Dale Earnhardt, Jr|
|152 in 2013||B Keselowski||Brian Keselowski|
|47||JTG – not testing|
|78||Furniture Row – not testing|
|34, 35, 36, 38||Front Row – not testing|
|98||Phil Parsons – not testing|
- You might be surprised: Which former NASCAR champ holds record for most career last-place finishes? 0
- Lotus to defend Australian GP crown on the back foot 1
- Manager: Schumacher showing “small, encouraging signs” 0
- After safety concerns, NASCAR announces changes to qualifying 2
- Red Bull’s Horner says Mercedes could lap field twice in Oz 1
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)
- The Dos Equis guy will give NASCAR’s start your engines command in Las Vegas (5)