Jan 8, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Not much in the way of IndyCar news to report lately, but any partner news can be considered good news this time of year.
Team Penske already made a splash earlier Wednesday with the news Rusty Wallace would be testing the No. 2 Miller Lite Ford Fusion in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series’ Preseason Thunder on Thursday. Its IndyCar program now has a bit of news, with confirmation Hitachi will continue with Helio Castroneves as a primary sponsor for eight races.
In 2014, the Hitachi primary sponsorship for the No. 3 Chevrolet will be for races in St. Petersburg, Fla; Detroit; Newton, Iowa; Long Pond, Pa.; Lexington, Ohio; Milwaukee and Sonoma, Calif. Detroit is the lone doubleheader weekend on that schedule.
In addition, Hitachi will serve as an associate sponsor for the No. 2 and No. 12 entries driven by Juan Pablo Montoya and Will Power, respectively. Montoya’s car’s primary sponsorship has not been announced yet, while Power will run his fifth full season in Verizon Team Penske colors.
“One of our goals at Penske Racing is to create true, integrated global partners for our race teams,” Roger Penske said in a release. “Hitachi Automotive Systems and the Hitachi Group have certainly represented this type of partnership with Team Penske. Working closely with Chevrolet on the fuel injection systems on our IndyCars, Hitachi has been instrumental in many of our race wins, but our relationship extends far beyond what you see on the racetrack.”
Video from NASCAR America
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 0
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 0
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 2
- What will NASCAR fans do now that their favorite drivers are eliminated from Chase? 9
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10
- UPDATED: Chase contender Kyle Busch back on track after Lap 102 crash (VIDEO) 0