Jan 8, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
“Pay drivers” in racing are not a new phenomenon, nor are they likely to go away anytime soon. In Formula One, IndyCar, NASCAR and sports car, there are drivers all throughout the sport who have made their way to the top solely on their financial backing, or alternatively just used some backing to get started and then have their talent take over from there.
Racing’s not cheap and while this video from former Charlotte Motor Speedway president Humpy Wheeler doesn’t offer too much in the way of fixing it, it’s still a fairly spot-on assessment of the state of play in most of racing at the moment.
Wheeler has also opined on other YouTube channel posts, such as his ideas for fixing IndyCar.
- For Dixon, it’s likely Mid-Ohio or bust in terms of 2015 IndyCar title hopes 0
- Race Recap: Vettel draws level with Senna on all-time win list with victory in Hungary 1
- NHRA Mile-High Nationals winners: Torrence, Beckman, Morgan, Krawiec 2
- F1 grid unites to pay tribute to Jules Bianchi (VIDEO) 1
- F1 Paddock Pass: Hungarian GP post-race (VIDEO) 1
- Vettel dedicates Hungarian GP win to Jules Bianchi 2
- Vettel storms to victory in Hungary as Hamilton and Rosberg hit trouble 9