Jan 8, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
“Pay drivers” in racing are not a new phenomenon, nor are they likely to go away anytime soon. In Formula One, IndyCar, NASCAR and sports car, there are drivers all throughout the sport who have made their way to the top solely on their financial backing, or alternatively just used some backing to get started and then have their talent take over from there.
Racing’s not cheap and while this video from former Charlotte Motor Speedway president Humpy Wheeler doesn’t offer too much in the way of fixing it, it’s still a fairly spot-on assessment of the state of play in most of racing at the moment.
Wheeler has also opined on other YouTube channel posts, such as his ideas for fixing IndyCar.
- It’s official: Redskins QB RG III to drive pace car at Richmond for Saturday’s Sprint Cup race 1
- Raikkonen: Yes, he’s still motivated, otherwise he wouldn’t be here 5
- Red Bull tweaks Mercedes over attempt to increase ‘Fuelgate’ punishment 3
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal 9
- Mercedes’ domination: Equivalent or different from Red Bull’s? 2
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (12)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)