Jan 9, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
A few days after his team made headlines for announcing its absence from the first Formula One preseason test of 2014, Lotus principal Eric Boullier has told the BBC that his group won’t be the only one missing at Jerez de la Frontera, Spain next month.
“You will see, we will not be the only team not being in Jerez. I know this for a fact already,” he said to the BBC’s chief F1 writer, Andrew Benson.
“We already said a month ago that it is going to be tight. Actually, most of the teams agreed it was going to be tight. Then it was a decision we took.”
On Monday, Lotus technical director Nick Chester said the team wouldn’t take part in the Jerez sessions because it didn’t fit with the “build and development program” on the new E22 chassis.
Today, however, Boullier has admitted that the car simply “will not be ready on time.” But by his estimations, the matter isn’t entirely a problem for Lotus – even though he too has concerns about missing a third of preseason testing.
“We will be ready shortly after [Jerez] – and in some ways, it is not bad because we will have time to watch what the others are doing and nobody will be able to watch what we are doing,” he told the BBC’s Benson.
“Remember, this year it is a big regulation change, so everybody will be watching very carefully what the others have done.”
Still, the Enstone gang would appear to be up against it during the lead-up to the season-opening Australian Grand Prix on March 16. The team, which finished fourth in the constructor’s championship last year, will have just eight days of testing at Bahrain (Feb. 19-22, Feb. 27-March 2) to prepare for the new season.
It’s a time crunch for sure, and we’ll see how Boullier and his squad handles that over the next couple of months.
- Exploring what’s next for Derrick Walker as he announces he’s leaving IndyCar 0
- INDYCAR announces Derrick Walker has resigned from series 8
- Preview: Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio critical in IndyCar title chase 1
- It’s “never-say-die” for Graham Rahal with three races left 1
- Paralyzed driver Michael Johnson returning to track in Pro Mazda 0
- Simon Pagenaud ‘agonizingly close’ to wins at Mid-Ohio, not to success in 2015 0
- With three races left, who could still win in IndyCar, season 2015? 1