Jan 9, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
A couple more minor bits of NASCAR Sprint Cup Series news have emerged in the last 24 hours or so, in the form of two more confirmed entrants for at least the Daytona 500 and possibly beyond.
- Via NASCAR.com, Dave Blaney, who lost his seat at Tommy Baldwin Racing after three years to the sponsored Michael Annett, will drive the No. 77 Ford for Randy Humphrey, with crew chief Peter Sospenzo. Humphrey worked with Mark Smith on the No. 19 Toyota that frequently started-and-parked in 2013. Blaney, now 51, started 35 of 36 races last year with a best finish of 16th at Talladega in May. His best non-restrictor-plate race finish was at Fontana in March, 21st.
- Brian Keselowski, Brad’s older brother, announced via Twitter he’ll return to the No. 92 car in 2014. The older Keselowski struggled mightily to get up to pace in the new Generation-6 car at the 2013 Daytona Speedweeks. Whether he runs any races beyond the Daytona 500 remains to be seen. Brian Keselowski has three career Cup starts, two last year and the 2011 Daytona 500.
Chances are high we’ll be writing much more about Blaney’s son Ryan, a Team Penske prodigy, and Brad Keselowski compared to Brian this year. Still, Daytona can throw a curveball and if either driver makes the field and survives the inevitable “Big One,” they could be in for good days.
- Vettel suspects Mercedes of sandbagging during practice 1
- Mattiacci determined to turn around Ferrari’s failing season 4
- Hamilton recovers in FP2 to edge out Alonso and Rosberg 0
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP 1
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 5
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Former FIA prez Max Mosley rubbishes F1′s ongoing noise saga (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)