Jan 10, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
Jenson Button has confirmed that his first choice number for the 2014 Formula One season is 22, as revealed on the Briton’s Instagram account last night.
As a new sporting rule, the FIA has decided to implement permanent numbers as of next season, replacing the system based on championship position that has been in place since 1996. It is thought that having drivers associated with a single number will make it easier for fans to identify them on track, as well as it being better from a marketing perspective. The system has been a success in both NASCAR and Moto GP.
Over the winter, many drivers have been revealing which number they have applied to use in 2014, with Button being the latest last night when he sent out a picture of two rubber ducks. “Two little ducks” is a British bingo nickname for 22, and the picture was accompanied by the caption: “2 little ducks! #22 #jenson22 my new race number guys, great memories.”
Video from NASCAR America
- Sam Hornish Jr. has much to be thankful for: new home, renewed Sprint Cup hopes with Richard Petty Motorsports 0
- NBCSN’s F1 coverage delivers best ever single-season numbers for a cable network 4
- Mercedes reserve Wehrlein leads final Abu Dhabi test day to end 2014 0
- Jean-Eric Vergne confirms Toro Rosso exit 3
- Bottas leads as McLaren-Honda delayed on first day of Abu Dhabi test 6
- Steve Letarte reflects on Hendrick Motorsports career in “exit interview” (VIDEO) 3
- Weekend wrap: Lewis Hamilton back on top of the F1 mountain 4