Jan 10, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Jenson Button has confirmed that his first choice number for the 2014 Formula One season is 22, as revealed on the Briton’s Instagram account last night.
As a new sporting rule, the FIA has decided to implement permanent numbers as of next season, replacing the system based on championship position that has been in place since 1996. It is thought that having drivers associated with a single number will make it easier for fans to identify them on track, as well as it being better from a marketing perspective. The system has been a success in both NASCAR and Moto GP.
Over the winter, many drivers have been revealing which number they have applied to use in 2014, with Button being the latest last night when he sent out a picture of two rubber ducks. “Two little ducks” is a British bingo nickname for 22, and the picture was accompanied by the caption: “2 little ducks! #22 #jenson22 my new race number guys, great memories.”
- Bubba Wallace dominates to win MudSummer Classic at Eldora (updated) 1
- Kurt Busch 25th in Sprint Cup points — IndyCar, too 1
- Report: Toto Wolff speaks out against F1′s double points finale 5
- IndyCar: Toronto weekend analysis, musings and observations 0
- NASCAR’s Brian France on RTA’s formation: “We didn’t think it was necessary” 13