Jan 10, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
Jenson Button has confirmed that his first choice number for the 2014 Formula One season is 22, as revealed on the Briton’s Instagram account last night.
As a new sporting rule, the FIA has decided to implement permanent numbers as of next season, replacing the system based on championship position that has been in place since 1996. It is thought that having drivers associated with a single number will make it easier for fans to identify them on track, as well as it being better from a marketing perspective. The system has been a success in both NASCAR and Moto GP.
Over the winter, many drivers have been revealing which number they have applied to use in 2014, with Button being the latest last night when he sent out a picture of two rubber ducks. “Two little ducks” is a British bingo nickname for 22, and the picture was accompanied by the caption: “2 little ducks! #22 #jenson22 my new race number guys, great memories.”
Video from NASCAR America
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 1
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 13 – Chase Elliott wins final Nationwide Series championship at record age 0
- CVC adds di Montezemolo, Walsh to Board of Directors for F1; Bernie stays on 1