Jan 10, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
A short while ago, NASCAR announced that a scheduled 30-minute break during today’s Sprint Cup Preseason Thunder testing at Daytona International Speedway has been scratched, meaning teams will test continuously up to 9 p.m. ET tonight.
After morning rains forced an alteration to the original Friday schedule, it was announced that teams would run until 4:30 p.m. ET and then get back to work at 5 p.m. for a four-hour block of track time. However, that’s no longer the case.
Teams were initially scheduled to begin today at 9 a.m. ET. Finally, a little after 12:30 p.m. ET today, cars were given the go-ahead to take to the 2.5-mile oval.
A long night is ahead but as of this report, Richard Childress Racing rookie Austin Dillon leads the way with a lap at 192.930 miles per hour in the No. 3 Chevrolet. One of Dillon’s teammates, Brian Scott, lies third at 192.258 mph, with Joe Gibbs Racing’s Denny Hamlin in between at P2 (192.765 mph).
Former Sprint Cup champion and current NASCAR TV analyst Rusty Wallace (pictured) has made several runs today in Brad Keselowski‘s No. 2 Team Penske Ford. According to MRN’s Dustin Long, Wallace turned a quick lap of 190.937 mph in his second run, which was good for the seventh-fastest time of the day at that point.
- It’s official: Redskins QB RG III to drive pace car at Richmond for Saturday’s Sprint Cup race 1
- Raikkonen: Yes, he’s still motivated, otherwise he wouldn’t be here 5
- Red Bull tweaks Mercedes over attempt to increase ‘Fuelgate’ punishment 3
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal 9
- Mercedes’ domination: Equivalent or different from Red Bull’s? 2
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (12)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)