Jan 10, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
A short while ago, NASCAR announced that a scheduled 30-minute break during today’s Sprint Cup Preseason Thunder testing at Daytona International Speedway has been scratched, meaning teams will test continuously up to 9 p.m. ET tonight.
After morning rains forced an alteration to the original Friday schedule, it was announced that teams would run until 4:30 p.m. ET and then get back to work at 5 p.m. for a four-hour block of track time. However, that’s no longer the case.
Teams were initially scheduled to begin today at 9 a.m. ET. Finally, a little after 12:30 p.m. ET today, cars were given the go-ahead to take to the 2.5-mile oval.
A long night is ahead but as of this report, Richard Childress Racing rookie Austin Dillon leads the way with a lap at 192.930 miles per hour in the No. 3 Chevrolet. One of Dillon’s teammates, Brian Scott, lies third at 192.258 mph, with Joe Gibbs Racing’s Denny Hamlin in between at P2 (192.765 mph).
Former Sprint Cup champion and current NASCAR TV analyst Rusty Wallace (pictured) has made several runs today in Brad Keselowski‘s No. 2 Team Penske Ford. According to MRN’s Dustin Long, Wallace turned a quick lap of 190.937 mph in his second run, which was good for the seventh-fastest time of the day at that point.
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)