Jan 10, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
Today also marks the 56th birthday for Eddie Cheever Jr., the 1998 Indianapolis 500 champion and the man with the most starts among American drivers in the history of Formula One with 132.
Cheever competed in 11 seasons in Formula One but for nine different teams during that span – Theodore, Hesketh, Osella, Tyrrell, Ligier, Renault, Alfa Romeo, Lola and Arrows. His 1983 season with Renault alongside the great Alain Prost was his best in F1, earning four podiums that included a runner-up at the Canadian Grand Prix.
In 1990, Cheever jumped from Formula One to CART, where he would drive for luminaries such as Chip Ganassi (1990-92) and A.J. Foyt (1994-95). But in 1996, he moved into the fledgling Indy Racing League and eventually set up his own team.
Cheever would earn five victories as a driver in the IRL, but none bigger than his ’98 triumph at Indy. Overcoming a first lap run-in with J.J. Yeley, he would find himself battling against ’96 Indy champ Buddy Lazier in the end before emerging as the victor. He led 76 of 200 laps en route to the win.
After Cheever stepped out of the car following the 2002 season, he concentrated on team ownership. The list of former Cheever Racing drivers is an interesting one and includes the likes of 2004 Indy 500 winner Buddy Rice, Tomas Scheckter, Patrick Carpentier, Alex Barron and current IndyCar owner/driver Ed Carpenter.
Cheever would come back to IndyCar driving in 2006, making seven starts before he was forced to shut his team down in mid-season due to a lack of sponsorship. He now works as an IndyCar TV analyst.
- You might be surprised: Which former NASCAR champ holds record for most career last-place finishes? 0
- Lotus to defend Australian GP crown on the back foot 1
- Manager: Schumacher showing “small, encouraging signs” 0
- After safety concerns, NASCAR announces changes to qualifying 2
- Red Bull’s Horner says Mercedes could lap field twice in Oz 1
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)
- The Dos Equis guy will give NASCAR’s start your engines command in Las Vegas (5)