Jan 10, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
It would be hard to disagree with calling Joey Logano one of the most improved drivers in the 2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series. Heading into 2014, his second year with Team Penske, Logano is already focused on fixing his weaker points.
“I feel like we’ve had the opportunity last year to win five to six races,” Logano said during his first media availability of the new year, Thursday at NASCAR Preseason Thunder at Daytona International Speedway.
“We only capitalized on one, so we can get better at that. I think that’s a big area for us. I think our pit stops, we’re making some changes on the pit crew to make that better. I felt like our cars last year had speed in them.
“I felt like the mile-and-a-half stuff was probably our best. It’s where our strongest suit was. But we were working hard on where our weaker points were, which I felt like were short tracks, and able to work on that stuff.”
Logano said breaking down film of the year can help spur him forward in the pursuit of catching Jimmie Johnson. Logano said he feels confident the No. 22 team can beat him, but they haven’t done it with any degree of regularity as yet.
“You look at football players and teams like that, they’re always studying tapes and studying their competition on how they can get better,” Logano explained. “So the same thing comes down in our sport. We’re going to look at pictures of cars on the racetracks and study race footage, in-car cameras, whatever we can find, we’re going to study it and try to understand what they’re doing inside the car and outside the car to win six championships because I want to get six of them too.”
It’s hard to believe but Logano, only 23, is entering his sixth full season in Sprint Cup. He’s never won multiple races in a season and is coming off making his first Chase. More wins and sustained consistency is the next step in the development for the driver referred to earlier in his career as “Sliced Bread.”
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 13
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 5
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 47
- Kyle Busch outduels Joey Logano for Nationwide win in Dover 2