Jan 10, 2014, 3:01 PM EDT
24-year-old Jeffrey, the son of former driver Kerry Earnhardt and grandson of the late seven-time Sprint Cup champion Dale Earnhardt Sr., will drive the No. 4 JD Motorsports with Gary Keller Chevrolet this season alongside teammate Landon Cassill in the No. 01 Chevy.
It will mark Jeffrey’s first full-season program in a NASCAR national series after running partial seasons in both Nationwide and the Camping World Truck Series in recent years. Last year, he made 17 NNS starts with a top finish of 16th at Talladega Superspeedway; altogether, he has 27 career NNS starts under his belt.
“It’s a great opportunity for me,” Jeffrey said in a statement. “This sport runs in my family, and it’s where I want to be every week. Racing with [owners] Johnny [Davis] and Gary [Keller] and the guys will give me a shot at running well every week and adding on the experience I need.
“I’ve sort of gotten my feet wet, but I need to be out there every race getting to know the ins and outs. JD Motorsports with Gary Keller has been there and done that. I think we can do good things together.”
As for Koch, he’ll be driving for TriStar Motorsports this season after making 28 starts last year in the NNS. Koch made some noise in the 2013 season finale at Homestead-Miami, where he qualified on the front row and finished 11th for RAB Racing in a one-off following the team’s release of then-regular driver Alex Bowman.
“I’m extremely excited, blessed and proud to join TriStar Motorsports,” said Koch, who finished 25th in the NNS standings last year despite missing some races. “[Team owner] Mark Smith has been in NASCAR for a long time and is respected by everyone in the garage. His team has evolved into a quality race team with continuous growth and a great reputation.
“There are talented people in place to build fast race cars and we will have strong Toyota engines supplied by his company, Pro Motor Engines. I’m also looking forward to working with teammates that I can lean on like Mike Bliss and Eric McClure. Daytona can’t come soon enough.”
Koch has 86 career NNS starts to his credit.
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)