Jan 11, 2014, 12:33 PM EST
Opening their own two-day Preseason Thunder test at Daytona International Speedway, the NASCAR Nationwide Series has completed this morning’s session at the “World Center of Racing.”
Topping the charts in the morning was Turner Scott Motorsports’ Dylan Kwasniewski (pictured, right). Kwasniewski, 18, the reigning NASCAR K&N Pro Series East champion, posted a lap at 183.408 mph in the No. 31 machine.
It was just enough to out-pace former Camping World Truck Series champion James Buescher, now driving for RAB Racing in Nationwide. Buescher was second on the charts at 183.397 mph in the No. 99.
Another TSM driver, Sprint Cup rookie of the year candidate Kyle Larson, took the No. 32 to P3 in the session at 182.786 mph. Joe Gibbs Racing’s Elliott Sadler was fourth (179.827) and Richard Childress Racing’s Ty Dillon rounded out the Top 5 (179.394).
Former Sprint Cup champion Bill Elliott, who is joining his son, Chase, and Regan Smith in testing for JR Motorsports this weekend, was eighth this morning after posting a lap of 178.944 mph. Smith was 11th (178.144) and Chase Elliott was 16th (177.354).
Kwasniewski and Larson each ran 30 laps in the morning, tying for the most among all drivers. Right now, the teams are taking a break before returning to action from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. ET.
Video from NASCAR America
- Rex White, NASCAR Hall of Fame driver — and storyteller 1
- Is a NASCAR TV analyst career in Jeff Gordon’s future? ‘I’d entertain it’ 2
- After wedding and winter to reflect, Joey Logano looks for more in 2015 2
- Jeff Gordon’s legacy of success transcends generations 1
- Jeff Gordon announces 2015 as final full-time season 43
- NASCAR: Trackside shopping set to change as part of new Fanatics deal (UPDATED) 10
- Brian Vickers to return to racing at Las Vegas after health scare 9