Jan 11, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
Opening their own two-day Preseason Thunder test at Daytona International Speedway, the NASCAR Nationwide Series has completed this morning’s session at the “World Center of Racing.”
Topping the charts in the morning was Turner Scott Motorsports’ Dylan Kwasniewski (pictured, right). Kwasniewski, 18, the reigning NASCAR K&N Pro Series East champion, posted a lap at 183.408 mph in the No. 31 machine.
It was just enough to out-pace former Camping World Truck Series champion James Buescher, now driving for RAB Racing in Nationwide. Buescher was second on the charts at 183.397 mph in the No. 99.
Another TSM driver, Sprint Cup rookie of the year candidate Kyle Larson, took the No. 32 to P3 in the session at 182.786 mph. Joe Gibbs Racing’s Elliott Sadler was fourth (179.827) and Richard Childress Racing’s Ty Dillon rounded out the Top 5 (179.394).
Former Sprint Cup champion Bill Elliott, who is joining his son, Chase, and Regan Smith in testing for JR Motorsports this weekend, was eighth this morning after posting a lap of 178.944 mph. Smith was 11th (178.144) and Chase Elliott was 16th (177.354).
Kwasniewski and Larson each ran 30 laps in the morning, tying for the most among all drivers. Right now, the teams are taking a break before returning to action from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. ET.
- Bell: “Carb Day is many things to many people; mine was many jobs” 0
- Texas Motor Speedway president Eddie Gossage plans to talk with IndyCar about potential changes to cars 3
- Hamilton storms to first Monaco GP pole position 0
- Vettel fastest for Ferrari in final practice for Monaco GP 0
- Chip Ganassi lobbying for IndyCar schedule changes 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar, Indy Lights Carb Day (11 a.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- IndyCar driver raises concern about design of wishbone that injured James Hinchcliffe in crash 4