Jan 11, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
Opening their own two-day Preseason Thunder test at Daytona International Speedway, the NASCAR Nationwide Series has completed this morning’s session at the “World Center of Racing.”
Topping the charts in the morning was Turner Scott Motorsports’ Dylan Kwasniewski (pictured, right). Kwasniewski, 18, the reigning NASCAR K&N Pro Series East champion, posted a lap at 183.408 mph in the No. 31 machine.
It was just enough to out-pace former Camping World Truck Series champion James Buescher, now driving for RAB Racing in Nationwide. Buescher was second on the charts at 183.397 mph in the No. 99.
Another TSM driver, Sprint Cup rookie of the year candidate Kyle Larson, took the No. 32 to P3 in the session at 182.786 mph. Joe Gibbs Racing’s Elliott Sadler was fourth (179.827) and Richard Childress Racing’s Ty Dillon rounded out the Top 5 (179.394).
Former Sprint Cup champion Bill Elliott, who is joining his son, Chase, and Regan Smith in testing for JR Motorsports this weekend, was eighth this morning after posting a lap of 178.944 mph. Smith was 11th (178.144) and Chase Elliott was 16th (177.354).
Kwasniewski and Larson each ran 30 laps in the morning, tying for the most among all drivers. Right now, the teams are taking a break before returning to action from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. ET.
- WATCH LIVE: IndyCar’s championship decided in Sonoma at 1 p.m. PT, 4 ET on NBCSN 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Sonoma (4 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Porsche’s no. 17 car surges to maiden WEC victory in 6 Hours of Nürburgring 2
- Audi boss Ullrich laughs off continual F1 rumors 2
- MotorSportsTalk’s IndyCar championship pre-Sunday post round-up 0
- Power steals final pole of IndyCar’s 2015 season with new track record at Sonoma 2
- Oriol Servia reflects on his friend Justin Wilson, as he races No. 25 car at Sonoma (VIDEO) 0