Jan 11, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
Opening their own two-day Preseason Thunder test at Daytona International Speedway, the NASCAR Nationwide Series has completed this morning’s session at the “World Center of Racing.”
Topping the charts in the morning was Turner Scott Motorsports’ Dylan Kwasniewski (pictured, right). Kwasniewski, 18, the reigning NASCAR K&N Pro Series East champion, posted a lap at 183.408 mph in the No. 31 machine.
It was just enough to out-pace former Camping World Truck Series champion James Buescher, now driving for RAB Racing in Nationwide. Buescher was second on the charts at 183.397 mph in the No. 99.
Another TSM driver, Sprint Cup rookie of the year candidate Kyle Larson, took the No. 32 to P3 in the session at 182.786 mph. Joe Gibbs Racing’s Elliott Sadler was fourth (179.827) and Richard Childress Racing’s Ty Dillon rounded out the Top 5 (179.394).
Former Sprint Cup champion Bill Elliott, who is joining his son, Chase, and Regan Smith in testing for JR Motorsports this weekend, was eighth this morning after posting a lap of 178.944 mph. Smith was 11th (178.144) and Chase Elliott was 16th (177.354).
Kwasniewski and Larson each ran 30 laps in the morning, tying for the most among all drivers. Right now, the teams are taking a break before returning to action from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. ET.
Video from NASCAR America
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 0
- What now if your favorite driver is eliminated from Chase? 1
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10
- UPDATED: Chase contender Kyle Busch back on track after Lap 102 crash (VIDEO) 0
- Faced with must-win scenarios, Earnhardt, Johnson lead halfway at Talladega 0
- Surprising revelation: Dale Jr. admits he coasted earlier in his career — ‘I just rested on my legacy and last name’ 0
- With nothing left to do but win, Dale Earnhardt Jr. faces Talladega with optimism 0