Jan 11, 2014, 6:04 PM EST
With some help from his father and former Sprint Cup champion Bill Elliott, JR Motorsports newcomer Chase Elliott (pictured) shot to the top in the first day of NASCAR Nationwide Series Preseason Thunder testing at Daytona.
18-year-old Chase, one of multiple first-time winners in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series last year, led a 1-2-3 finish atop the speed charts for JRM with a lap at 187.993 mph – just ahead of “Awesome Bill from Dawsonville” and his best lap at 187.974 mph. Regan Smith completed JRM’s trifecta with his lap at 187.950 mph.
Drafting had a bigger presence in today’s first day of Nationwide testing, as opposed to yesterday’s Sprint Cup sessions. However, while packs were prevalent, teams were not allowed to utilize two-car, tandem drafting – with Elliott Sadler telling NASCAR.com’s Kenny Bruce that violating the edict would draw a black flag.
Ty Dillon, taking over the Richard Childress Racing ride that used to belong to his older brother and Sprint Cup rookie Austin Dillon, was fourth-fastest with his hot lap at 187.805 mph. He also ran the most laps this afternoon with 76. Roush Fenway Racing’s Trevor Bayne (187.743 mph) rounded out the Top 5, leading the Fords.
This morning’s leader, Dylan Kwasniewski, was ninth-quickest in the afternoon (187.064 mph), one spot behind Turner Scott Motorsports teammate Kyle Larson (187.243). David Ragan, who will drive in the NNS’ season opener at Daytona for Biagi-DenBeste Racing was sixth (187.512), with Chris Buescher (seventh, 187.398) and Jamie Dick (10th, 186.962) completing the Top 10 speeds.
A second day of testing for the NNS at Daytona will begin tomorrow at 9 a.m ET.
- Manor Marussia F1 confirms trip to Melbourne 3
- Agag: Formula E off to “incredible start” heading into U.S. swing 2
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 3
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3