Jan 12, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
This weekend in Brazil, the competitors in Felipe Massa’s “Desafio Internacional des Estrelas” karting event took a moment to support Formula One legend Michael Schumacher, who remains in critical condition and in a medically induced coma after suffering a severe head injury during a skiing accident late last month.
According to an English press release from XYZ Live, all 24 racers gathered in the middle of the track’s infield to pray for Schumacher’s recovery and then hold up a banner with the words “Força Schumi” – Stay Strong, Schumi in Portuguese. The same Portuguese message was also on stickers that were put on the front nose of all the karts.
As for the race itself, the field was mostly made up of Brazilian competitors including Massa, Schumacher’s old Ferrari teammate, Rubens Barrichello, and IndyCar racers Ana Beatriz and Felipe Giaffone (2001-2006).
However, it was an Italian and Swiss 1-2 in the end, as former F1 pilot Vitantonio Liuzzi took the checkered flag by six seconds over current Red Bull tester Sebastien Buemi, who logged the fastest lap of the race.
Massa, preparing to begin a new chapter in his career at Williams this season, nabbed the last spot on the podium at 10.6 seconds behind Liuzzi.
“It was a wonderful weekend,” Liuzzi said according to the release. “The kart was pretty good after a few adjustments we made between FP2 and qualifying. Definitely, we found the best set up. I made a good start and was able to pull away from the battles behind me and that was the key to [the] win.”
- Graham Rahal’s Fontana win was long overdue, and a long time coming 0
- Report: Roger Penske intends to keep his ‘four aces’ in IndyCar 0
- Mario Andretti gets Jay Leno up to speed — and then some 1
- NHRA: Antron Brown looks to make Top Fuel fireworks this weekend 1
- MAVTV 500: Despite being nerve-racking to crazy, drivers glad safety won out 2
- WATCH: IndyCar’s frantic, thrilling MAVTV 500 to re-air at midnight ET on NBCSN 6
- Nelson Piquet Jr crowned first ever FIA Formula E champion in thrilling London finale 1