Jan 12, 2014, 12:39 PM EDT
Judging from his efforts this weekend in NASCAR Nationwide Series testing at Daytona International Speedway, 18-year-old Dylan Kwasniewski (pictured) appears to very much be a “morning person.”
For the second day in a row, the reigning NASCAR K&N Pro Series East champion led the morning session for Preseason Thunder on the 2.5-mile oval. Driving for Turner Scott Motorsports, Kwasniewski topped the charts with a lap at 190.022 mph, just ahead of Saturday leader Chase Elliott (189.950 mph) of JR Motorsports and former Camping World Truck Series champ James Buescher (189.921 mph) of RAB Racing.
According to Dustin Long of Motor Racing Network, Kwasniewski is aiming to run the ARCA Racing Series’ season opener at Daytona on Feb. 15 in order to gain approval to run the NNS’ 300-mile curtain-raiser one week later on Feb. 22.
Last year, in addition to his K&N East duties, he ran in a sole ARCA race at Kansas Speedway. But he made it count, converting a pole position to a fourth-place finish on the 1.5-mile oval.
Former Cup champion Bill Elliott continues his testing work for JRM this weekend, and he posted the fourth-fastest lap in the morning run (189.885). Richard Childress Racing’s Brendan Gaughan, returning to a full-time role in Nationwide this season, was fifth-fastest (189.881).
- NHRA: All you need to know about the 61st U.S. Nationals 0
- NHRA: Year’s biggest race, the U.S. Nationals, ready to roll 0
- F1 2015’s silly season is proving to be a let down, but who could yet spice it up? 3
- 2015 Italian Grand Prix Preview 0
- James Hinchcliffe on the comeback trail for IndyCar driving return 1
- Bottas and Massa to remain with Williams for 2016 1
- Here are your TV times for this weekend’s Italian Grand Prix on NBCSN, Live Extra 0