Jan 13, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT
Corvette Racing has, officially, taken the wraps off the racing version of the C7.R at this morning’s North American International Auto Show in Detroit. The car tested at the Roar Before the Rolex 24 test from Jan. 3-5 in a checkered, camouflage livery.
The trademark Corvette Racing yellow – which made its mark in the American Le Mans Series – will again be showcased in the new TUDOR United SportsCar Championship. Some black accents make up the car, as they have in the past.
As for the car itself, much of the racing C7.R shares DNA with the new 2015 Corvette Z06 production car. Technology transfer between the two represents a large part of GM’s programs, with the racing side working in tandem with Pratt & Miller in Michigan.
Some of the technological improvements on the C7.R include a new aluminum frame, built in-house at Corvette’s Bowling Green, Ky. assembly plant, a direct-injected engine and newer, more aggressive aerodynamic components. This car will work to increase cooling and aerodynamic downforce, including similar front splitters, rocker panels, and front- and rear-brake cooling ducts.
The team has two full-season cars entered in the TUDOR Championship GTLM class. Antonio Garcia and Jan Magnussen, 2013 ALMS GT champions, make up the No. 3 with Oliver Gavin and Tommy Milner in the No. 4. Ryan Briscoe (No. 3) and Robin Liddell (No. 4) join for TUDOR Championship endurance races with Jordan Taylor and Richard Westbrook joining for the 24 Hours of Le Mans.
- NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win 4
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 0
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 3
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 11
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 4
- Helio Castroneves leads halfway through the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Mid-Ohio (1:30 p.m. ET, CNBC and Live Extra) 0