Jan 13, 2014, 3:31 PM EST
As part of today’s 2014 team launch in Indianapolis, Andretti Autosport revealed that it was expanding once again into a new racing discipline: Global Rallycross.
In a release, the GRC said that more details of the Andretti Rallycross program – including its driver lineup for 2014 – will be revealed at the Chicago Auto Show on February 6.
With their move into GRC, the team adds yet another program to their current portfolio alongside those in the IndyCar Series, the Mazda Road to Indy (Indy Lights and Pro Mazda), and the soon-to-debut FIA Formula E Championship. The team also previously raced in sports cars with the American Le Mans Series.
“[The GRC program] is going to be a very fun program, so we’ve got a lot of stuff going on here,” team owner Michael Andretti said during the launch, which was streamed worldwide at AndrettiTV.com.
“But it’s fun. We’re in the racing business and not just IndyCar racing – we’re looking to expand and I think we’re doing it in a great way.”
AA will be entering the category as the factory team for Volkswagen, whose cars made their way into select GRC events last year as part of privateer squad Marklund Motorsport.
Among the drivers that raced those Marklund VWs were two-time World Rally Champion Carlos Sainz and two-time DTM champion Mattias Ekstrom.
- Jimmie Johnson likes new Chase format, but misses the one that brought him six championships 0
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 1
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0
- Gridiron Challenge: NASCAR drivers take football stars for a spin (VIDEO) 1
- Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony headlines 6.5 hours of NASCAR on NBCSN 0