Jan 13, 2014, 3:31 PM EDT
As part of today’s 2014 team launch in Indianapolis, Andretti Autosport revealed that it was expanding once again into a new racing discipline: Global Rallycross.
In a release, the GRC said that more details of the Andretti Rallycross program – including its driver lineup for 2014 – will be revealed at the Chicago Auto Show on February 6.
With their move into GRC, the team adds yet another program to their current portfolio alongside those in the IndyCar Series, the Mazda Road to Indy (Indy Lights and Pro Mazda), and the soon-to-debut FIA Formula E Championship. The team also previously raced in sports cars with the American Le Mans Series.
“[The GRC program] is going to be a very fun program, so we’ve got a lot of stuff going on here,” team owner Michael Andretti said during the launch, which was streamed worldwide at AndrettiTV.com.
“But it’s fun. We’re in the racing business and not just IndyCar racing – we’re looking to expand and I think we’re doing it in a great way.”
AA will be entering the category as the factory team for Volkswagen, whose cars made their way into select GRC events last year as part of privateer squad Marklund Motorsport.
Among the drivers that raced those Marklund VWs were two-time World Rally Champion Carlos Sainz and two-time DTM champion Mattias Ekstrom.
Video from NASCAR America
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 1
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 2
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 3
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2