Jan 13, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Patrick Dempsey turns 48 today, and while the actor is probably better known worldwide for his role on “Grey’s Anatomy,” it’s his racing commitment and passion that drives him on a regular basis.
Dempsey’s team will run two GT Daytona class Porsche 911 GT Americas in the 2014 TUDOR United SportsCar Championship. Dempsey will team with Andrew Davis for the full season in the No. 27 Porsche, with the full-season lineup for the sister No. 28 car yet to be revealed. Dempsey’s longtime friend and business partner Joe Foster and Porsche factory driver Marc Lieb join the lineup at the Rolex 24 at Daytona.
Dempsey Racing has a best finish of third in class at the Rolex 24 at Daytona in 2011. Dempsey, Foster, Tom Long and Charles Espenlaub drove the team’s Mazda RX-8 chassis that year.
The team also plans a return to the 24 Hours of Le Mans, where they ran for the first time (Dempsey’s second time as a driver) last year and finished fourth in class. The relationship with Porsche is a strong one and the team is expected to once again run in the GTE Am category there.
Dempsey was mobbed prior to getting into his car at one point in last year’s race, and co-driver Patrick Long performed the role of “pit lane bouncer.” See a video of that below.
Dempsey’s been a massive sports car racing ambassador as well, with the “Patrick Dempsey: Racing Le Mans” documentary premiering last year to critical acclaim.
Video from NASCAR America
- Rosberg tames wet conditions to claim Belgian GP pole 0
- Bottas breaks Mercedes’ stranglehold at Spa by topping FP3 0
- Ryan Blaney passes Kyle Busch on final restart, hangs on to win Nationwide race at Bristol 1
- Kevin Harvick edges Jeff Gordon for Bristol Sprint Cup pole 1
- Will A.J. Allmendinger seek payback for Brad Daugherty’s practical joke? 1
- 2015 NASCAR Schedule to be Revealed Tuesday, 5 p.m. ET, on special NASCAR AMERICA 0
- Rossi disappointed, but diplomatic, after Marussia no-go 1