Jan 14, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
Kimi Raikkonen is currently in the middle of his first official week of work at Ferrari since announcing his return to the team for the 2014 Formula One season.
The former World Champion (pictured, from 2009) arrived in Maranello yesterday for what the Scuderia says will be three days of work both with the team’s engineers and in the simulator.
“It’s good to be back at work,” Raikkonen told Ferrari’s website yesterday. “I began by getting used to all the new systems and procedures that we will use this year. From this point of view, the simulator is really very useful.
“It’s true there’s lots to do, but the workload is not much different to what it was in the past. For me, these days in Maranello are also an opportunity to be with the team and spend a bit more time with my many friends here.”
Raikkonen, who missed the final two races of the 2013 season in the United States and Brazil to undergo back surgery, had made a previous visit to Ferrari’s headquarters back in December to check in on the design of Ferrari’s 2014 machine. At that time, the team also confirmed that Antonio Spagnolo would be his race engineer in 2014.
Ferrari has yet to confirm their appearance at the upcoming first Formula One preseason test at Jerez de la Frontera, Spain (Jan. 28-31).
Video from NASCAR America
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 2
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 3
- Talladega mystery: Did missing woman even make it to NASCAR race? Second fan to disappear in 18 months 14