Jan 14, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Seven-time Pirelli World Challenge champion Peter Cunningham and his RealTime Racing squad are set to go for this year’s GT championship in the new Acura TLX GT.
The announcement was made as part of today’s unveiling of the 2015 TLX Prototype at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit (skip to 14:00 in the video above to see the reveal of the RealTime TLX GT).
Last year, RealTime competed in the series’ GTS category, with Cunningham and teammate Nick Esayian finishing fifth and eighth respectively in the drivers’ championship while racing the Acura TSX.
Acura itself finished third in the class manufacturers’ race behind Chevrolet and Kia, but is now focusing in on GT for the first time since 2002, when RealTime ran an Acura NSX.
Team-wise, RealTime has six years of GT experience, with one championship for Cunningham in 1997 and a pair of runner-up finishes in 2001 and 2002.
“The Pirelli World Challenge GT class is at its pinnacle of competitiveness right now, but the Acura TLX is up to the task,” Cunningham said in a statement. “In 27 years of racing Hondas and Acuras, we’ve shown that we know what it takes to win.
“We won Acura’s first Manufacturers’ Championship in 1998 with the Integra Type R, and most recently, its 10th title in 2012 with the TSX. Our team is dedicated to continuing this winning tradition with the TLX.”
RealTime’s new machine will feature a chassis from Honda Performance Development with enhanced aerodynamic performance parts, as well as a twin-turbo V6 engine developed from the TLX production model. And like that production model, the TLX GT will also have all-wheel drive at its disposal.
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)