Jan 14, 2014, 5:18 PM EDT
Only five drivers took laps today during the final day of NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Preseason Thunder testing at Daytona International Speedway.
Morning rains kept the small group of trucks from hitting the track until 12:30 p.m. ET according to Godwin Kelly of the Daytona Beach (Fla.) News-Journal. Per Kelly’s 11 a.m. ET update, there had been about 10 trucks in the Daytona garages but apparently, the rainy conditions caused some of the teams to pack up early and head home.
ThorSport Racing’s trio of Johnny Sauter (pictured), defending series champion Matt Crafton, and Ross Chastain were among those who stayed along with Rosenblum Racing’s Ryan Ellis and owner/driver Jennifer Jo Cobb.
Sauter’s lap of 183.921 mph was enough to top today’s charts, followed by Crafton in second (183.895) and Chastain in third (183.880). Ellis and Cobb lagged behind considerably on speed, with the former posting a lap at 176.025 mph and the latter topping out at 173.437 mph.
With that, Turner Scott Motorsports’ Jeb Burton has earned the honor of having the fastest lap throughout the CWTS portion of Preseason Thunder. Burton notched a lap of 191.144 mph during yesterday’s afternoon session.
The CWTS season begins Friday night, February 21 at Daytona with the NextEra Energy Resources 250.
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Former FIA prez Max Mosley rubbishes F1′s ongoing noise saga (6)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (6)