Jan 14, 2014, 5:18 PM EDT
Only five drivers took laps today during the final day of NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Preseason Thunder testing at Daytona International Speedway.
Morning rains kept the small group of trucks from hitting the track until 12:30 p.m. ET according to Godwin Kelly of the Daytona Beach (Fla.) News-Journal. Per Kelly’s 11 a.m. ET update, there had been about 10 trucks in the Daytona garages but apparently, the rainy conditions caused some of the teams to pack up early and head home.
ThorSport Racing’s trio of Johnny Sauter (pictured), defending series champion Matt Crafton, and Ross Chastain were among those who stayed along with Rosenblum Racing’s Ryan Ellis and owner/driver Jennifer Jo Cobb.
Sauter’s lap of 183.921 mph was enough to top today’s charts, followed by Crafton in second (183.895) and Chastain in third (183.880). Ellis and Cobb lagged behind considerably on speed, with the former posting a lap at 176.025 mph and the latter topping out at 173.437 mph.
With that, Turner Scott Motorsports’ Jeb Burton has earned the honor of having the fastest lap throughout the CWTS portion of Preseason Thunder. Burton notched a lap of 191.144 mph during yesterday’s afternoon session.
The CWTS season begins Friday night, February 21 at Daytona with the NextEra Energy Resources 250.
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Busch news kicks off what may be a busy Tuesday for IndyCar (5)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)