Jan 15, 2014, 3:33 PM EST
Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone is looking to buy perhaps the most hallowed track in the history of the sport. Reuters reported today that that the British billionaire has put in a bid to acquire the Nurburgring, which has fallen on hard times financially in recent years.
According to Reuters, the assets up for bidding include the track and an adjacent amusement park. An official for the administrators told Reuters that they would not comment on specific bidders but are looking to have a new owner in place soon so they “can start the season in April.”
The famous Nurburgring Nordschleife course has not hosted a Formula One Grand Prix since 1976 – a race known for the fiery wreck that almost took the life of three-time World Champion Niki Lauda. A smaller, modern circuit near the original has alternated with Hockenheim as host of Germany’s F1 event since 2007.
Nurburgring fell into bankruptcy in 2012 after its organization amassed major debts following the construction of a major complex at the track that included the aforementioned amusement park and a large shopping mall. Bigger crowds didn’t appear as expected, and in 2013, bidding began for potential buyers.
Ecclestone had pondered the idea of putting in a bid last year, telling one German publication, Die-Welt, in July that he was “at least thinking about” going ahead with it. But shortly after, he told another German publication, the Rhein-Zeitung newspaper, that he’d decided it wasn’t practical for him.
Now, it appears that he’s had yet another change of heart on the subject.
“We made an offer and we now wait for it to be accepted,” he’s told the Handeslblatt and Wirtschaftwoche publications according to Reuters. “We believe that we can do more than anyone else for the circuit. There could be a decision as early as in the coming weeks.”
Mar 2, 2015, 9:30 AM EST
Mercedes leads in pace, and lap count as F1 preseason testing is in the books for 2015.
Mar 2, 2015, 8:59 AM EST
Mick Schumacher to advance from karting into cars this season.
Mar 2, 2015, 8:21 AM EST
With potential Indy Lights success there for the taking, Max Chilton instead opts for the LMP1 route with Nissan.
Mar 2, 2015, 7:45 AM EST
Max Chilton and Alex Buncombe round out the Nissan LMP1 lineup; Chilton full season and Buncombe at Le Mans.
Mar 2, 2015, 7:34 AM EST
Red Bull takes off the camo, comes back in color.
Mar 1, 2015, 5:00 PM EST
Here’s the final recap from the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya as pre-season testing comes to a close.
Mar 1, 2015, 3:30 PM EST
Team principal Maurizio Arrivabene calls for “concentration and discipline” at Maranello in the lead-up to the start of the 2015 season.
Mar 1, 2015, 3:00 PM EST
The Team Penske pilot turns 34 years old today.
Mar 1, 2015, 2:30 PM EST
Maldonado is still able to find the positives out of his final test run before the beginning of the 2015 season in Australia on March 15.
Mar 1, 2015, 2:00 PM EST
Should Mercedes drop the ball in 2015, Williams could be the team to pick up the pieces and snatch a race win.
Mar 1, 2015, 1:30 PM EST
17-year-old will become the youngest driver in the history of F1 to start a race in Australia.
James Courtney wins season-opening V8 Supercars feature in Adelaide; ex-NASCAR driver Marcos Ambrose 12th
Mar 1, 2015, 1:00 PM EST
Ambrose cracks Top 10 on feature grid, but fuel strategy hinders an otherwise decent run for him.
Mar 1, 2015, 12:45 PM EST
German driver posted the fastest time of winter testing in Barcelona on Friday.
Mar 1, 2015, 12:30 PM EST
With the ban on motorsport in Switzerland being lifted, the door has been opened to an ePrix in Geneva.
Mar 1, 2015, 12:00 PM EST
Attention now turns to the season-opening Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne on March 15.
Mar 1, 2015, 11:00 AM EST
Ferrari technical director says that the SF15-T is working as expected.
Mar 1, 2015, 10:00 AM EST
Maldonado confident Lotus has made a big improvement after miserable 2014.
Mar 1, 2015, 8:00 AM EST
British driver says that sticking with #44 means far more to him than having the number designated for the world champion.
Feb 28, 2015, 5:00 PM EST
Argentinian driver confirms his plans for the new season after a difficult 2014 with Hilmer Motorsport.
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 0
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 1
- Lewis Hamilton explains decision to reject #1 for 2015 1
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Hamilton fastest as Mercedes impresses again on day three 0