Jan 15, 2014, 5:32 PM EST
Panther Racing has announced that Colombian Formula Renault 3.5 racer Carlos Huertas will be behind the wheel of their No. 4 Chevrolet (pictured, from last year) during Friday’s Chevy manufacturer test at Sebring International Raceway in Florida.
Huertas, 22, earned his first career win in FR3.5 last season at Motorland Aragon in Spain en route to a 14th place finish in the 2013 championship for Carlin Motorsport. He first competed in the category in 2012.
The Bogota native has also raced in Formula BMW and British Formula Three.
“This is an awesome opportunity for me, and Panther Racing is a quality team,” Huertas said in a team release. “It’s been good to get to know the crew, and we’ve been working hard to prepare for Friday. I’m grateful for the opportunity, and ready to get out on track.”
In his own thoughts, team owner John Barnes said that Huertas carried “a lot of potential.”
“He’s been impressive racing [Formula Renault 3.5] over the past couple of years,” he said. “We’re looking forward to getting Carlos behind the wheel and seeing what he can do with the No. 4 car.”
The release states that more details regarding Panther’s 2014 program would be made in the weeks ahead.
Panther is coming off a trying season in which it released J.R. Hildebrand (who had been racing with the team since 2011) after the Indianapolis 500 and had Ryan Briscoe, Oriol Servia and Carlos Munoz split the remainder of the year in their No. 4 car.
Briscoe had been expected to take over the Panther ride for 2014 but because of the team’s unresolved sponsorship situation, he instead has become the fourth driver at Chip Ganassi Racing alongside Scott Dixon, Charlie Kimball and Tony Kanaan.
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 0
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 0
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 1