Jan 15, 2014, 4:46 PM EDT
Reports state that Formula One team bosses are expected to meet with the FIA for an upcoming summit on the future of the sport in Geneva, Switzerland.
GPUpdate.net says that the summit will take place one week from today on Jan. 22, and reports that aspects such as the cost cap set to debut with the 2015 season and the controversial “double points” rule for season finales could be up for discussion during the meeting.
The FIA has stated previously that it wants regulations involving the cost cap to be finalized by June. As for the “double points” rule, Red Bull team principal Christian Horner has expressed his belief that it could wind up taking away value from the first 18 races of the year.
“Is it right to put so much predominance on one race?,” he said today according to the Associated Press. “Does it undervalue what you’ve done in the rest of the year? I think, arguably, yes it does. There will be a discussion next week about it no doubt and we need to think very carefully about it.”
“I can understand to try to keep the championship alive to the last race. But two out of the last four years, it has gone to the wire under the current points system. Especially with the regulation changes we have got this year, it’s probably not the right time to be looking at that change.”
- Richard Petty to return at Richmond, first race since wife Lynda’s death 0
- NASCAR VP: 2015 Sprint Cup engine package to be revealed before All-Star Race 0
- Too much, too fast, too soon: The sad saga of Swan Racing 0
- IndyCar: Will high grip and high tempers equal high drama at Barber? 2
- NHRA drag racing superstar John Force goes on vacation — at a dragstrip, of course 0
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (13)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)