Jan 16, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Ron Howard’s “Rush” was nominated for two Golden Globes, and, you figured, had a good chance at being nominated in the same spots and additionally in some of the technical categories for the Academy Awards. Not the case.
A full list of Academy Award nominations were revealed on Thursday and “Rush” was shut out of any nominations entirely.
Four of the five nominated for Best Supporting Actor from the Golden Globes carried over to the Oscars, but Daniel Brühl’s Niki Lauda portrayal was replaced here by Jonah Hill, in “The Wolf of Wall Street.” Quite why is a question mark.
The nine pictures nominated for Best Picture are “American Hustle,” ”Captain Phillips,” ”Dallas Buyers Club,” ”Gravity,” ”Her,” ”Nebraska,” ”Philomena,” ”12 Years a Slave,” and ”The Wolf of Wall Street.”
Some of the other categories where “Rush” could have been nominated were Production Design, Cinematography, Sound Mixing, Sound Editing, or perhaps Original Score. But, like a driver who goes winless over the course of a season, “Rush” has come up empty in the most grandiose awards ceremony of the year.
No matter. Niki Lauda still presented at the Golden Globes, and ultimately that’s what race fans will be able to hang onto until we see more cars on track.
And on the bright side, “Rush” is already available on iTunes and set for DVD release on January 28. So it’s not all bad news.
- Who is better off? 2013 vs 2014 F1 points comparison 0
- An anti-climactic race in China ahead of F1′s return to Europe 0
- VIDEO: Vettel explains decision to not let Ricciardo past 5
- Chinese GP called two laps early after checkered flag mix-up 4
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” 19
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (19)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)
- Former FIA prez Max Mosley rubbishes F1′s ongoing noise saga (6)