Jan 16, 2014, 4:40 PM EST
With his two-year run in NASCAR now over, action sports icon Travis Pastrana has gone back to rally racing. Earlier this week, it was announced that Pastrana would return to the Subaru Rally Team USA in the Rally America series, where he’ll be teammates with defending series champion David Higgins.
Pastrana, himself a four-time Rally America title winner, got his start in rallying back in 2004 while driving a Subaru. Two years later, he was chosen to join the Subaru USA team and promptly won his four series championships in succession from 2006 to 2009.
“I’m so happy to be back with the team I’ve been most successful with in the past,” he said in a statement. “Rally racing is where my heart is and it’s a privilege to do it in a Subaru.
“The competition is stronger and our cars are faster than they have ever been here in the USA. It won’t be easy to get back to the top, but I’m looking forward to the challenge!”
Pastrana and Higgins are slated to race WRX STI cars in the 2014 Rally America season, which begins in Atlanta, Michigan on Jan. 24-25.
“It’s going to be great having Travis back with the team,” Higgins said in his own thoughts. “He has a massive following and it will be great for the sport to have him back.
“Amazingly, between all our championships in the USA, we have never really competed against each other, aside from an odd event or two. I know we will work well together, but also have a healthy rivalry too.”
In addition to his efforts in Rally America, Pastrana is slated to race in Global Rallycross during this June’s Summer X Games in Austin, Texas.
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Rosberg quickest as Mercedes shows its hand on day two 0
- Alexander Rossi confirms return to GP2 in 2015 with Racing Engineering 2
- FIA issues updated F1 entry list including “Manor Marussia” 3
- Fernando Alonso thanks fans for support following crash 0
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Thursday 0
- Massa fastest for Williams as final F1 pre-season test begins 5